The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an Ich outbreak in one of my tanks, and I used Coppersafe to successfully treat my tank. Over a period of about two months, I did weekly 20% water changes but found I still had a bunch of copper present in my water. This frustrated me, because I wanted to add some shrimps and snails to my tank but could not because of the high copper levels. Adding carbon helped a bit, but not as much as I had hoped. I asked a friend of mine what I should do, and he suggested that I get this product. I added it to my tank, and within 24 hours there was no detectable amount of copper in my water. Has anyone else ever used this product? Before I add shrimps and snails, I wanted to see what other people thought of this product. Have other people here on TPT used this and gotten similar results? Has it made copper-contaminated water safe again for inverts? Because I have had issues with inaccurate test results, I want to see what others think. Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Throw a few cheap shrimp in there (Ghosts, cherrys) and see what happens.

There may still be Copper trapped in the substrate that might get stirred up later if you rescape or while vacuuming.

That said, I love me some Polyfilter and Purigen, and consider them something that everyone should have on hand. I know Purigen is safe for planted tanks. Not sure about Polyfilter, it may filter out stuff the more sensitive plants need. I run a medium light CRS tank with Polyfilter and have had no issues with either the shrimp or plants.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throw a few cheap shrimp in there (Ghosts, cherrys) and see what happens.

There may still be Copper trapped in the substrate that might get stirred up later if you rescape or while vacuuming.

That said, I love me some Polyfilter and Purigen, and consider them something that everyone should have on hand. I know Purigen is safe for planted tanks. Not sure about Polyfilter, it may filter out stuff the more sensitive plants need. I run a medium light CRS tank with Polyfilter and have had no issues with either the shrimp or plants.
Excellent! I have not used Purigen yet, but if the Polyfilter works as good on other contaminants as it appears to on copper then I will probably keep them on hand. Does Purigen do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poly BioMarine's Poly Filter is an excellent material I've used, when needed, for several decades. The fact that it changes color - which gives you a good idea about what it's pulling from the water - is gravy.
I could not agree more. I like the fact that even though I was using it to get rid of the copper, the color-change actually confirmed this. Almost like it knew what it was doing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.