The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a polyester roll from Walmart to use as filter media. I thought, "I'm so smart. Why spend more money on something so cheap?"
Well today I found tons of floating white/transparent "flakes" that I have to assume are pieces of polyester.

I opened up my canister and find a TON in the reservoir prior to the actual media portion. Dumped it out and spent probably 45mins cleaning up what was floating in my tank.

Does anyone know of this is common with polyester material, or is it something completely different?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Did you get the loose pillow-fill (like polyester fluff)? Or did you get the polyester batting (like a roll/sheet)?

The loose polyester is known to have little pieces get blown all over the tank.
I only use the batting and don't get any of the material floating around or collecting anywhere.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If I might make a suggestion if it was me I would use what you have but stuff it into some of those 99 cent media bags from petsmart or stuff it into nylon stockings. That way your problem is soved and you didnt waste your money.

As @WaterLife life said you want batting not fiberfil. I use the low loft stuff at is seems to compress less and holds shape better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's batting, but my girlfriend is completely convinced that it's dead leaves from my Ludwigia. I think she's crazy but whatever. Thedood, I'll grab those tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have multiple filters with it and have never had a problem with it coming loose. I have 2 huge wads in an emperor 400 that have been in there for 4 months and still look good. I have another emperor 400 that has batting cut into strips and inserted into the clam shell cartridges. I have a home made water polisher that is stuffed with it and it works well there. If it is coming loose on you the media bags should solve the problem.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I too buy filter material at Walmart.
I buy the densified polyester(not FOAM) which comes in 15" X 17" square and is 2 " thick.
I trace around one of my filter pad's on the polyester and then cut with fabric shear's.
I can then either leave it two inches thick for one pad or,,peel it apart like opening a sandwhich to see what's on it ,and now I have two one inch pad's.
Was pleased lately to see labeling indicating" no added fire retardant chemicals" although I have used the stuff containing them for year's without any issues.
Used to use the polyester loose roll stuff in HOB filter's where it worked OK ,but it did tend to get loose and sometimes work to clog filter tubes on canister filter more quickly if it was not contained in basket ,or fabric mesh.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm assuming you're using this stuff Poly-Fil Extra-Loft Batting - Walmart.com

I get flakes (i'm using a wet dry sump if it matters) but I'm pretty sure it's from stuff that built up on my return line / vinyl tubing.

you sure it's not from your hoses/tubing?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming you're using this stuff Poly-Fil Extra-Loft Batting - Walmart.com

I get flakes (i'm using a wet dry sump if it matters) but I'm pretty sure it's from stuff that built up on my return line / vinyl tubing.

you sure it's not from your hoses/tubing?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I've never used a cannister filter before but my gf has and she says she's never seen anything like this before

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How hard is your water? I wonder of this isnt water deposits that broke loose from inside the hoses.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I just ordered a KH and GH kit last night so I'll find out soon!
Need a super quick but not super accurate way to judge hardness? Look around the faucets and find how much mineral deposits are there! If there isn't a super cleaning person in-house, you can get a good idea of the water hardness.

The flakes do sound like hard water deposits from tubing, etc. They break loose when you move the tubing and then may lay somewhere for a while until the dissolve again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Need a super quick but not super accurate way to judge hardness? Look around the faucets and find how much mineral deposits are there! If there isn't a super cleaning person in-house, you can get a good idea of the water hardness.

The flakes do sound like hard water deposits from tubing, etc. They break loose when you move the tubing and then may lay somewhere for a while until the dissolve again.
Im just surprised at how flexible they are. They wave in the current and fold on to plants. I'd assume mineral deposits would be stiffer, but i honestly don't know

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Yes, that would sound a bit odd for what I normally find but then nature has a lot of surprises for us. Maybe a bit more like a combo of slimy algae with some minerals mixed in? Really not sure what to say about minerals that fold. I find more like solid paint chips breaking loose. Got any way to grab one and squeeze it to see how it feels? Not sure what that tells us other than it is not hard. Huummm?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, that would sound a bit odd for what I normally find but then nature has a lot of surprises for us. Maybe a bit more like a combo of slimy algae with some minerals mixed in? Really not sure what to say about minerals that fold. I find more like solid paint chips breaking loose. Got any way to grab one and squeeze it to see how it feels? Not sure what that tells us other than it is not hard. Huummm?
Lol sure. They seem to accumulate in my cannister so next chance I get I'll inspect them and take pics

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry to hijack your thread, but would this be used as a polishing pad? Or something else? And if used for something else, where would I put it in a canister filter?
I used mine in place of typical media. I currently only use polyester and nothing else. I may eventually get bio balls of something like that but so far so good!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.