The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Do a search for cerium oxide on this forum or google it with the word "aquarium". I tried it once but it didn't work for me. My tank at the time was custom made (by someone else) so that could have had something to do with it (perhaps the type of glass?).

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I looked at that myself. I found it would have been easier & cheaper to just buy a another aquarium. This from a guy that will try to build anything before he'll buy new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I assume you are talking about a glass tank... for acrylic, you can use headlight scratch remover/polisher. just make sure the tank is clean before using it again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
glass is harder than acrylic, to this day I haven't heard of it being possible but my ears arent that open, but i wish you luck, if i were you i would diy it =]
it is possible to polish scratches out of glass. there are a few companies, Eastwood I believe is one of them, that carry kits for polishing windshields on antique cars. in order to replace the windshield on a 1948 packard is not only expensive, but also degrades the value if the original glass is not used, it is highly sought after. if you can polish glass scratches out, you might want to talk to a few restoration shops in your area. lots of guys want it done, but don't want to pay the initial investment for something they are just going to use once, maybe twice. it's not cheap to do once, but if you can polish enough glass with it, it's worth the time.

the best part about most of those kits is that you just need a drill. the kit comes with the required pastes/grits, as well as the heads/pads.

Later,
Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts