The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just setting up a budget shrimp tank and would like to know what you guys think so far. All the moss is java (cuttings from my main tank).

Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

Shrimp will probably be armano or rcs.

Would you add another canopy to the left tree limb?

Will the slope hold with only java moss to root into it? The top of the slope is about 3inches and the bottom less than an inch.

Do I really need an alternative moss to make a beleivable canopy/lawn? eg Christmas/flame moss.

Any good ideas on hiding the filter that won't cost much? I do have more plants I can borrow from the other tank but nothing looks the right scale.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Just setting up a budget shrimp tank and would like to know what you guys think so far. All the moss is java (cuttings from my main tank).

Shrimp will probably be armano or rcs.

Would you add another canopy to the left tree limb?

Will the slope hold with only java moss to root into it? The top of the slope is about 3inches and the bottom less than an inch.

Do I really need an alternative moss to make a beleivable canopy/lawn? eg Christmas/flame moss.

Any good ideas on hiding the filter that won't cost much? I do have more plants I can borrow from the other tank but nothing looks the right scale.
I'd hide the filter with some nice stem plants.

Is that a rock on the right branch of the wood? Whatever it is, I'm not really a fan of it. Otherwise I'd say it looks pretty good, I like the background wall.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It is a piece of plastic canvas. Im hoping the moss will grow in to make it look more like a tree. I have just adjusted it so it sits at a better angle.
oo ok, maybe add a second smaller piece over on the left then

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'd stick with the java moss for the tree and maybe look into E. tenellus 'narrow', dwarf sagittaria, Mariselia quadrifoia or minuta.

The dwarf sag may grow too tall for your liking though.

Is this a low light tank and are your injecting CO2?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
well for the record. i wouldnt be too concered about c02 and shrimp. i regularly blast mine. as in daily. with 60-80 ppm of c02. they dont go run and hide. nor do my tetras and otos. everyone stays out to clean and do their thing.. lots of people told me my fish should be dead.. yellow drop checker.. blah blah blah.. i have good oxygen levels and my tank shows it. :) nuff said.. but dont let me sway you into getting c02 if you dont wont it.. just dont be afraid of it.. i have rcs

oooo and for trees.. if you can get ahold of really long synthetic or plastic twist ties. they make great "branches" the moss will grow and spread over the two ends

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes I did a quick google and most of them seem to be made of copper. Will stay with what I have for now but will definitely by the ties if I see something suitable.

Livestock>aethetics :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
if your keeping shrimp don't do anything with copper or it will kill them. looks good so far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.