The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting too frustrated with having my current point and shoot auto focusing on the glass in my tanks, rather than my shrimp/plants/fish/whatever I'm trying to photograph. I've got a birthday coming up, and I want to get a new point and shoot that has manual focus.

Anyone have any experience with them? The MF seems to work fine in store zooming in on price tags and such and using the wheel to get it to focus on what I want. Canon has several in the $175-240 range, and I'm sure other camera companies have them as well. Cameras can get confusing for me as its often hard to tell the difference in features between models. All I'm looking for is A) Manual Focus in macro mode and B) Decent low light photography without flash. (I do have tripods) Any suggestions?

Let me make one thing absolutely clear, I DO NOT want a DSLR.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, just checked my Panasonic and it has manual exposure, but not manual focus. I think if I were looking for a small camera, not DSLR, with manual focus, I would seriously look at the Sony Nex 5.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do they actually make P&S cameras with manual focus? I don't think I've ever seen one.

What kind of P&S do you have now? Perhaps you could hack it to force focus - not as ideal as a manual focus ring, but it would give you control over what the camera is focusing on.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Canon SX130, full manual control.

Good learning camera before you buy an expensive DSLR.
I agree, dslr like features and quality but without the bulk.
(ignore all the bad reviews with this cameras battery life, people just dont know about great rechargables)
Yeah, battery life is awesome with a set of Eneloops.

However, the re-cycle time for the flash is excruciating on this model (up to 10 sec... doesn't sound like a big deal but it can be). Also, trying to shoot moving fish is pretty hopeless due to the shutter lag.

Apart from these two points, it is a sweet camera, lots of bells and whistles and decent image quality for its price, and great zoom range for its compact size.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I'm getting too frustrated with having my current point and shoot auto focusing on the glass in my tanks, rather than my shrimp/plants/fish/whatever I'm trying to photograph. I've got a birthday coming up, and I want to get a new point and shoot that has manual focus.

Anyone have any experience with them? The MF seems to work fine in store zooming in on price tags and such and using the wheel to get it to focus on what I want. Canon has several in the $175-240 range, and I'm sure other camera companies have them as well. Cameras can get confusing for me as its often hard to tell the difference in features between models. All I'm looking for is A) Manual Focus in macro mode and B) Decent low light photography without flash. (I do have tripods) Any suggestions?

Let me make one thing absolutely clear, I DO NOT want a DSLR.

Are you sure your glass is perfectly clean? I never had that problem when I was using P/S. What kind of camera is it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.