The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found Potostemon stellatus at my LFS and picked up a bunch. And, have read many conflicting details about this plant.

Can you give me any pointers or share your experience with this plant?

My tank info is:
4x54W T5HO lights on 10 hours per day
Dry ferts (0.5 tsp KNO3, 0.5 K2SO4, no PO4 due to high levels in source water, and 0.25 tsp CSM+B for micros)
5-6 bps injected CO2
77-80F temp
2 Magnum 350 filters
50% water change weekly

Parameters typically run NO3 5-10, pH 6.3, dGH 6, dKH 3, PO4 2-5, 0.1 Fe

Thank you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I heard it needs high light and soft water, but I don't know if this is accurate because I never kept mine in low light and hard water. Mine is growing relatively well under high light and diy co2. Although I must say its one of the most demanding plants I've ever kept. Under stronger light, the color changes from green to a gold color with pink undersides. On one occasion, it grew out of the tank. How much did you buy a bunch for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid $2.99 for 5 stems.

I believe I have the right conditions to grow this plant. Just not sure with the conflicting info about them. The stems that the fish haven't been uprooting have grown 3 or 4 inches since I made this purchase a couple of weeks ago. But they are still green.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Man oh man this stuff grows well for me. I have the broad leaf version which is less demanding than the narrow leaf. I have it in medium light, and it is a light red at the crown, and an olive green everywhere else. nice plant. And when trimmed, it will sprout and take over your tank, and if left along will eventually take over your house and neighborhood lol kidding aside, it sprouts about 5 new stems right below the cut area. I keep it at 79*, 4*kh and 6*gh flourite substrate. .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm not mistaken, I have the narrow leaf variety.

Good to know the plant does so well in your tank. I am wanting to see it color up, but that may not happen until it gets closer to the water surface.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.