The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use PPS-PRO (and root tabs) bc it's what I can remember. Medium light with CFLs and sand substrate. Sponge filter. Heater to about 78 degrees. Plant only tank with some pest snails.

I don't use CO2.

I'm doing 1 ml per 10 gallon macros and 0.05 ml per 10 gallons micros/trace. Which is for what I have, medium light.

Anyways, if I miss a single day of fertilizing, one or more of my Pogostemon Octopus will just up and melt. Usually at the substrate level and by the next day, there's barely anything left. This is even with root tabs.

I don't do water changes on this tank. Would dosing for high light help there be enough left over to last a missed day? Or would over feeding also melt or burn plants? It's not the only species I'm growing.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I use PPS-PRO (and root tabs) bc it's what I can remember. Medium light with CFLs and sand substrate. Sponge filter. Heater to about 78 degrees. Plant only tank with some pest snails.

I don't use CO2.

I'm doing 1 ml per 10 gallon macros and 0.05 ml per 10 gallons micros/trace. Which is for what I have, medium light.

Anyways, if I miss a single day of fertilizing, one or more of my Pogostemon Octopus will just up and melt. Usually at the substrate level and by the next day, there's barely anything left. This is even with root tabs.

I don't do water changes on this tank. Would dosing for high light help there be enough left over to last a missed day? Or would over feeding also melt or burn plants? It's not the only species I'm growing.
Hi @captmicha,

Pogostemon stellatus "Octopus" is one of the easiest plants to grow. It is a fast grower, almost like a weed. I suspect that it just isn't getting sufficient nutrients. What wattage CFL bulb(s) are you using over that 10 gallon tank? One or two bulbs?

Pogostemon stellatus "Octopus" (back, center)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts