The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I'm very good with my greenhouse plants I've got a lot to learn about water plants. These were the first water plants I ever bought, I bought 10 pieces of this for $20 +/- and when it arrived it was 3-4" stems. I don't know if that's good or bad but despite my best efforts they look pretty sad right now

But I'm no quitter so I thought I'd better get ready to buy some more.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=638345

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi MeCasa,

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with this species; were you trying to grow it emersed or submerged? If growing it submerged it likes softer water and good nutrients. I grow mine with 3.0 dKH and 4.0 dGH and dose ferts using the EI (Estimative Index) method. If growing it emersed it grows well with rich substrate and high humidity. Sorry, no 'extras' at the moment. 3" - 4" stems are certainly long enough for 'starts' if the growing conditions are good.

Submerged (on left)

Emersed

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will eventually be submerged in my 150. When the stems first arrived (Friday). I put them in water and they seemed happy. However after reading more in the forum I decided to take them out of the water and plant them in organic soil (did that Sunday night) I added the organic heaped about 1 1/2" deep on one side of a 10gallon and then I poured water about 3/4" deep in the aquarium thinking the plant would suck it up as needed. I covered with glass, added a double 24" fluorescent light and a small red light for heat to keep it at 80 +/-

The little pieces aren't dead, they just look sad. They started turning brown as soon as I took them out of the water. I thought about putting them back in the water but experience tells me that playing too much with seedlings is bad.

Yours look pretty and that's exactly the way I hoped they would look which is inspiring. One way or another I'll figure this out, there's no option but success :)

What do you think? Can I do anything better?

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
These plants are lucky that the doctor is in the house.

I mixed some water, sugar and yeast and added some CO2 to the tank

I learned my first aquatic plant lesson, stems at or under 3 1/2"" are not reliable, especially skinny tops. They melt faster than chocolate on a hot day.

Yes it can be done but you have to be experienced and/or lucky.

Another lesson; plant the plant as soon as they arrive, that's when they're at their strongest and that's your best chance of success.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Check the plants first in a sink / Tupperware. Cut off all rotting matter. If they still look half-dead, let them float in the tank. No water in the tank? Float them in the Jacuzzi, add water, light, heater as needed.

v3

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
All. They were grown submerged and conversion to emmersed takes time and care.

v3

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I felt capable of taking the time and care to grow them emmersed is there an upside, do I get a stronger plant?

Sorry for so many questions, but give a hungry man a fish, teach the hungry man how to fish yada, yada

For the record: I'm not losing this plant even if I need to shut down my business and stare at it all day :smile:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am a little confused, why would you want to transition it to emmersed then transition it again to submersed in your 150 Gallon? I am not asking to be mean, I was just wondering why put the plant through all that? If they look really bad, I float them in my smallest tank possible, with lots of lights and ferts. Most will spring back, I've even nursed some back to health in nothing but a clear gallon jug, sunlight and ferts.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I know your not being mean, I didn't know any better

Because I've never grown these type of plants before and in the various threads I've posted' people said "dry start them and get a head start"

Originally I had floated them and they looked good and I took some ill advised advice.

I learned something, now I need more to try again. I'll learn

Do you know anybody with some to sell :biggrin:

PS: Don't mistake my lighthearted banter as lack of care or effort, this broke my heart, not to mention wounding my pride...... But I'm pragmatic and if first you fail.............

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS: The reason why I was questioning OVT had nothing to do with his abilities which I understand are substantial.

The reason why I was questioning moving them again was because I already knew that I put these little stems through a lot and I felt guilty moving them again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think "dry start them and get a head start" refers more to carpeting plants which typically take longer to root and spread. Not sure if it'd make a difference with stem plants since your going to uproot and move them anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that there are adaptations that a plant needs to make transitioning between one to the other (either direction) and obviously this transition expends energy from the plant. I posted a thread up in General that I hope will help me learn all the ins and outs of this subject since it lies at the heart of growing aquarium plants.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts