The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally caved in and bought a phosphate test and checked my water.

Tap .75 ppm

55 gallon tank somewhere between 2ppm and 5 ppm closer to 5ppm though as it had more of a blue tint.

75 gallon same as the 55 but a bit less blue.

Now the 55 is planted but mostly slow growing plants like anabuis and crypts. The 75 is heavily planted with fast growing stems and a few slow growers.

I did dose phosphates last week, 55 gallon got 1 ml and the 75 got 2 ml of fleet. I have since done a 50% water change and not added back.

I don't have a GSA problem in the 55 gallon but I do in the 75 gallon, thus the reason I bought the test.

Why would a tank with so much phosphate still have GSA?

Granted its not bad, just on the anabuis and the sides of the tank I can't reach to scrape. Also on one cave decoration but I like it there as it looks more natural.

1.75 wpg on both tanks, Excel in both tanks and EI dosing.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
your tank will always have a little GSA... you have a healthy tank that's all... 8-9 hours is good to control GSA. I have my lights on a timer... I've recently been playing with 7.5 hours.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GSA with adequate P and N would indicate low CO2. Try raising it a little and see if that helps.

To keep anubias clean, use either low light or keep them shaded by other plants. They will still gather a little bit of algae, but it's tolerable. Some folks can keep theirs under high light, but they typically have a very specific method of maintaining their tank, suited specifically for that tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts