The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've read in many places that Macros and Micros should be dosed on alternating days because PO4 from Macros can react with Iron from Micros.

Question:
What should I dose right after a water change? Because after a water change the system is low on both, Macros and Micros but I can't dose both at the same time.

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my water change days, I dose neither <a href="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>

For me, it's easier to remember, since Monday, Wednesday and Friday is one thing, and then Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday is another.
Ok, what do you dose the next day after the water change, Macros or Micros?

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Ok, what do you dose the next day after the water change, Macros or Micros?
For me, it doesn't really matter, since I am using EI.

I suppose macronutrients would be more important, but it shouldn't matter too much.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can dose PO4 and Fe at the same time. They just shouldnt be mixed in the same solution bottle...unless you know what you're doing with that
Well, when you dose PO4 and Iron into the tank you are technically mixing them in same solution.

I've also read somewhere that plants can store Micros for longer, so it's not a big deal to run low for a day. So it makes sense when you guys say Macros first.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure if this is useful at all - it's an illustration I put together to help me get my head around Seachem's suggested weekly dosing calendar. Maybe gives a handy guide to what to add when, at least as a starting point for developing your own tailored schedule for your tank. Based on Seachem fert's but assume same principles apply to using other fert products too.

Points to note:

1. Size of doses marked (X, XX, or XXX) are very arbitrary as a very rough guide, but depends massively on actual doses of each product used
  2. I've tweaked to have water change on day 1 (rather Seachem's normal day 7) as makes sense to me to start with the w/c.
  3. I've ignored Excel and Advance as not fert's.
  4. Seachem only suggest Prime and buffers on w/c day, no ferts, except for...
  5. Equilibrium gives major hit of potassium of day 1 with water change (additional dosing may not be required!)
  6. NPK primary dosing on day 2 and 5
  7. Seachem "Nitrogen" and "Phosphorous" also both contain potassium, so Seachem "Potassium" dosed separately on day 4 and 6, but only if required (see note 3)
  8. Trace elements come from both Seachem Fluorish and Trace products
  9. Iron and trace elements dosed most days
  10. Not much dosed on day 7 at end of week (only iron), presumably because of w/c next day
  11. Seachem suggest Trace is not dosed on same days as Fluorish (no point double-dosing trace elements on same day?) or Potassium (not sure why)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can dose PO4 and Fe at the same time. They just shouldnt be mixed in the same solution bottle...unless you know what you're doing with that
Agreed.

Like mentioned above, I front load all macros.

Micros are dosed daily.

No issues at all.
I also front load macros directly after WC, and I dose micros 3x/wk. First of 3 doses is directly after WC.

Don't over complicate things. PO4 and micros happily coexist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.