The Planted Tank Forum banner

PMFED -- Poor man's Flourish Excel drops ??

13871 Views 30 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Momotaro
Hi!

Does anybody know the composition of Flourish Excel ?? The website gives no details. Does anyone have an idea what the main source for C might be? Does it contain phytohormones? What does it definitely NOT contain ? Anyone done testing (conductivity, pH, residues after burning, burning point, [maybe even gaschromatography??]....)

Anyone with a "recipe" for something like Poor man's Flourish Excel Drops PMFED (similar to PMDD= dupla dosing drops ??? )

regards

Jörg
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13,610 Posts
from what i read ffoeg doesn't use gluteraldehyde he uses molasses
Maybe they can use it and taste it themselves, then tell the rest of us what it taste(burns like hades) like:)

Only a dolt would even suggest tasting it/let alone taking a big wiff.

Read the MSDS on gluteraldehyde..
Reduced carbon such as sucrose can be used by plants, eg in Tissue culture, and survive a long time without photosynthesis, but adding sugar to an aquarium is not even remotely close.

Anyway, this thread is about gluteraldehyde/Excel, Easy Carbo etc.
It can be DIY'ed and folks have done it.

Personally, I like CO2 gas, it's easier and dose the job better.
Excel is useful for folks having troubles with CO2, or an algae issues, which is also a CO2 problem typically. And perhaps a few that like slower growth than CVO2/low light, but more than non CO2/carbon enrichment.

Works well for smaller tanks etc.
The product is very toxic, I'm even wondering if folks should even use it for aquariums..........the vapor is none too good.

Regards,
Tom Barr

· Registered
13,610 Posts
I think my point is long term exposure risk are not tested for this use for humans.

If you use some, here and there, have a small tank, good ventilation in the home, not an issue. If you have a tiny room without much circulation in the air, dose 2-4 tanks daily.........sleep in there, etc..........

I have 5 good sized tanks, but do not use it daily for such reasoning.
But I understand risk assessment better than most aquarist.

Having said that, I'll go take my chances now on the I80/101 drive O death and carnage:icon_mrgr

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.