The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

are all these one and the same or similar?

I have read alot of articles regarding these fertilizing methods but cannot understand which one to follow or how to use one when starting a new setup since many say do alot of water changes. I am a bit confused but also afraid to start my 90L setup since I failed so many many times!

If I could get simple instructions it would be nice :icon_neut

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Don't use PMDD, it is very antiquated. EI is the least "thought" method and you just do water changes as normal. Fortunately in heavily planted tanks, cycling is much less of an issue because plants consume ammonia very quickly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It seems like PPS Pro is very simimlar to PMDD except that it adds phosphate. Others know more about this than I do.

Don't use PMDD, it is very antiquated. EI is the least "thought" method and you just do water changes as normal. Fortunately in heavily planted tanks, cycling is much less of an issue because plants consume ammonia very quickly.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
As Overstocked suggested EI is the best/easiest IMO. What it tried to do is dose all of the nutrients in excess so you have no limiting factors. Dosing EI in 99% of tanks will be adequate so all you need to worry about is lighting and Co2 (which is about everytime the persons plants aren't growing properly is over looked as being under dosed).

You can also tailor EI to your needs. Say you dose the recommended dose dry into your tank then test NPK on the day of your WC prior to the WC. After testing you see that N is in the 60-80 ppm range. You could then cut your N dose by 1/2 and check again next week.

Then you have to do a weekly 50% WC. This just resets your parameters so you don't accumulate an excess of any single feet.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I tried PPS Pro and din't like the proportions plus it did cause algae problems, now as usual it was most likely my own special twist on their suggestions but never the less. I do like EI dosing much better but I still make a wet solution and dose at a reduced rate because it's what needed in my tank.

Any fert program should be modified if your tank is not absolutely full of plants, you have good lighting and good CO2 levels.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
How can I make a liquified version of EI?
Get bottles that are all the same size. Total up the amount of fertilizer for the number of days you want the bottle to last, add it to the bottle and fill the bottle up with RODI water, mix completely. Divide the bottle volume by the number of days the solution is to last and add that amount to your tank daily. Do not mix iron with phosphates as they will react with each other and precipitate out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.