The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plz help anubias leaf folded and small

5468 13
Guys this is my first post I have 50 gallon discus tank. During summer time tank temperature stays 30-31c without heater. My tank decorations are Anubias tied with drift wood. Presently I have found Spoted brown algae on anubias leaf.
MY light setup - only one 36w philips PLL. Normally I do 30% water change every 6-7 days interval also I am using seachem flourish as bottled instruction(4 Ml every 10 Days interval) also my all anbias new born leaf are folded and very small in comparison with older leaf so guys please suggest me how get rid off brown algae and small folded leaf as it's look very ugly and dirty.
i have 11 Discus and 6 Lemon tetra
Please suggest a algae eater that can survive in higher temperature.

Regards,
Supriya

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I think nitrate deficiency will show in stunted new growth and wrinkling in older leaves. What's your nitrates at? If you use API liquid test kits remember to shake bottle #2 and final mixture VIGOROUSLY for accurate results.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,547 Posts
How long have the anubias been in the tank?

How long did the bad growth take to happen?

Many things can cause chlorosis.
Very true.

I think nitrate deficiency will show in stunted new growth and wrinkling in older leaves. What's your nitrates at? If you use API liquid test kits remember to shake bottle #2 and final mixture VIGOROUSLY for accurate results.
It does look a little bit like nitrogen deficiency, but I do not see any damaged older leaves (deterioration starting from the tip of old leaves). Only the new leaves are smaller without old growth symptoms. In nitrogen deficiency old growth is affected first, then new growth is affected much later on. So if the old leaves never showed the initial deterioration then it can't be nitrogen deficiency. Furthermore, discus tanks usually have plenty of available nitrogen from all the beef heart, but AquaAurora has a good point, nitrate test results would be helpful to know.

The high temperature of the water may be the problem here. Constant 87F is deadly to many/most aquatic plants. Anything above 83 F will start to harm plants. This is why planted discus tanks are not very common. The two aren't really the best match.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All anubias are in my tank from October 2013. Never I found any symptoms of nutrient deficiency. My older leaves are ok only affected to new born leaf.
Bad growth effected in only summer season. Due to high temperature in India-kolkata, tank temparature always stays at 30-31c without heater.

Please suggest me, can I apply k2so4 with flourish or wait for monsoon. If needed k2so4 then please suggest me the dosage (teaspoon measure, like 1 or 2 teaspoon)

@AquaAurora in india nitrogen test kit is very costly so right now i can't afford for the same.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,547 Posts
I'm a little confused by your last post.

So, the plants only grow badly during the summer when it is hot but are fine during other cooler times of the year? If so then this is likely the problem with your plants - the temperature.

You can add K2SO4 but it will not fix your plants. Add 15 ppm K2SO4 2-3x a week, use calc.petalphile.com to calculate how much you need to add.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I am applying k2so4 as per your advise. jast i want to know is it ok for discus. I have 11 Discus, 10 Lemontetra and one common pleceo. In filter media i have seache matrix and purigen also filter power head is 200gph In 50 Gallon tank. Should i increase tank circulation. As i heard discus don't like water current.
egarly waiting ur reply

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody
Today I found another three leaf from three different anubias plants. All new leaf are very small and folded not in proper shape. When I am Googling I came to know may be it's a calcium deficiency as potassium first affect on old growth but my old leaves all are fine no symptoms of nutrient deficiency.
Can I add Caso4 in my discus tank?
Is caso4 have any effect on my discus?
If needed then please advise me the dosing in spoon( 1 spoon or 2 spoon)
Note- I have no Co2 system, 11 discus in 50 gallon tank and dosing seachem flourish 5 ml every 7 days interval. No test kit as it's very expensive in india.

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,547 Posts
supi4u, the photographs you have shown do not match any nutrient deficiency very clearly. I do not believe it is a nutrient deficiency. I think it is a temperature problem. 31C is too high. Anubias is adapted to live within a temperature range of roughly 20-27F.

Have a look for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubias

Calcium deficiency is fairly rare problem, and does not produce smaller new leaves.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,547 Posts
No problem supi4u. 28 F will probably be ok to grow the anubias, but that is the upper range of what it can handle.

The best temperature for anubias is below 27, but the best temperature for discus is 28-31F. The two temperatures don't really match well. This is why planted discus tanks are not the best mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Zapins

Today I found one discus is suffering in hole-in head disease. Today I carefully watched that no white poo found. In google from simply discus forum I came to know Calcium deficiency can cause the same also my anubias new leaf are deformed can you throw some lights. Also if you know the treatment for holes-in-head disease then please inform.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.