The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I has a a group of 40 neon tetras in 125 gal tank. They are keep hiding under driftwood covering with trident fern , sometime they come out but rarely. It never happened before, just recently. I dont know what Ive done. Help me! :help:

There are more than 40 cardinal and neon tetras in there. But it looks like an empty tank with 2 gold angel fishes in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Assuming that the neons behave like cardinals, I've noticed that they fish will tend to stay at a water level which allows them to swim amongst other things in the tank, such as large batches of plants.

My school of about 30 cardinals in a 150 gallon tank swam around in the mid to upper layers of the tank until I did a major trimming of plants. They then stayed at the lower levels of the tank until the plants resumed their previous height.

Larger fish in tank may be an issue, but only if predatory. I have Congo tetras in the same tank without apparent problems.

FWIW,

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH I forgot to mention that my school is mixed (85% is cardinal and rest is neon)(thought they are same :) just noticed).I also has 2 medium-large angles and thats all. Angles been in my tank about six months and tetras is 3 months now. Like I said they just behaved like that recently (It has been a week now). I dont think bully is the problem here (no chasing). Is there something that I can put under driftwood to scare them out or ... I dont know.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Have you adjusted the CO2 lately? That would affect their behavior if it is a bit too high.

Betting it is the angels, they can eat fish a lot larger than you think they can and your tetras may be smart enough to stay out of the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My vote is that they (for whatever reason) got spooked by the angels. When I first added my much larger black skirt tetras, my neons hid for a day or two until they realized the other fish were no threat. Since you only have 2 angels, is there somewhere else you could temporarily rehouse them to see if that helps?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yea, I think its pretty obvious its the Angel Fish.

Like Fahnell stated, angel fish are cichlids = big time eaters - they will annihilate that neon population.

Unfortunately, you put two incompatible fish together my friend. If its not a problem now, its likely to be in the future.

You may have had the angels and neons in there for 3 months but it is entirely possible that the angels, which have grown since that time, started seeing the neons as food just recently.

Also your tank scape looks awesome. I like it. However, I would put a background on that tank - black or blue painted. Those curtains and blinds really don't do the scape a favor :p

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
come on. angels and neons? :)
take out the cichlids for 1 week and you will see the neons next to the front glass begging for food

I have 3 ADULT Angels (marble) 10 Cardinals and 10 Rummies..they all swim amoungst themselves just FINE.

·
Registered
362 Posts
at my workplace a guy has 1 tiger barb , 2 angles and guppies in 100 liters of water. and yes everything seems fine ....but this is only an exception
this can apply to your tank also. some get lucky ...some not.
every aquarium is very very different. should i point that cichlids are fish with REAL personality and they can be very very different?
in this case only some experimentation can clear things up

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.