The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help planning this 80-gallon tank and integrated the sump shown below please. So far, I've drilled this tank for the 1600gph overflow. Now I need to decide whether to run two return lines or just one. The 3rd picture is a 3/4" Locline dual return nozzle. I'm trying to decide before I drill the bulkhead again for the return if one is sufficient or if I should run two set. Once near each end of the tank. I want to be adequate, but I also don't want to be overkill. I also have a Cascade 1200 canister to run in conjuction with the sump. I'm all open to constructive suggestions and criticisms.

Thanks folks!

Rectangle Audio equipment Electronic device Gas Electronics accessory

Body jewelry Creative arts Natural material Silver Jewellery

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I run 2 return pumps on both my tanks. I don't have to run the pumps full on and I like the wiggle room 2 give me for adjustment. I run my returns over the top though, so if I had to drill I may think differently. I use silicone tubing with DIY spraybars and it works well for, me anyway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't have a great answer to your questions, but I can share my personal experience. I have a loc line Y output on my sumped 20 long and had a hard time getting proper flow distribution in the tank. I ended up having to drill holes along the front to turn it into a spray bar of sorts. If I were to do it again I would probaly go with a spray bar along the full length of the back wall. I also have my return run over the top since I shattered the back wall of my original tank that had a drilled return while trying to undo a stuck union. However, the glass on 20 longs is very thin and I would think the thicker glass on an 80 gallon would be more durable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts