The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm designing a custom water system where I'm taking my tap water that is basically CO2 infused RO-like water, and adding injections of mineral concentrates into it, to make custom hardness water.

I'll be using these water filter housings or something similar filled with bio balls as my mixing chambers. The housings have fpt 3/4 inch input and outputs, but I need to run an injection from a 1/4 inch line either into the line just before the housing (i.e. into 3/4 inch PVC line) or fitted into the lid of the housing itself.

Any ideas on the best way to do this and where to get the parts? The system will be under low pressure, as it'll have come off a pressure reducer that brings the line pressure down to 30 psi.

Thanks for your ideas!

DK

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You can use pvc and a brass barb fitting. Get a 3/4 tee with all slip fittings. Then get a 3/4" male adapter and glue that to one end of the tee. That will screw into the housing. Get a 3/4" female and glue that to the other end. You can then put a barb and some tubing to connect it to your pump. Then get a 3/4" to 1/2" slip to threaded reducer(forgot what they actually call them). Then you can get a 1/4" brass barb(they are usually 1/2" mpt) and screw that into the top of the tee. You may also need a short piece of 3/4" pvc. You can get all that stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sounds great, thank you for the ideas. I wonder if instead of brass I could find a barb with npt in nylon. The solutions going past the barb will be both acidic and salty, and in my household plumbing the acidity has eaten the metal componentry. I'm particularly concerned about copper leaching into the lines, as the water is going to an invert rack.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You may have to go to a specialty plumbing shop or online to find a small nylon barb. The smallest I have seen in the big box stores have been 1/2" barbs. If you can find a mail threaded coupling, you could probably get away with less pieces.Oh yeah, don't forget ball valves and unions. They will make maintenance a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plumbingsupply.com - my new best friend

And his cousin flexpvc.com

Between the two of them... seems you can get just about any sort of pvc part.

I'm looking forward to all my parts and pieces arriving in the next weeks, and putting it all together.

Hope it works.... :icon_wink

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.