The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird connector that is on the water source in my house. I'm sure you know what it is. It is below a tap and has threads on it but if I open the tap water comes out on top of the fitting. I believe its for code in my area (area code 314). Anyway, I have just put fish tanks in the area and was wondering if I can utilize this connections somehow?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think you have an anti-siphon outlet on the hose bib, which keeps ground water from being sucked back into the house plumbing, where it might cause massive illness, suffering, death and destruction. I hate them. I don't use them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
OK, now that we are sure what it is, what exactly is it that you want to use it for? It is good for filling tanks with a hose but every time you shut the hose off, some water will dribble/flow out the top of the anti-siphon section.

In a lot of jurisdictions, that piece is pinned in place to prevent removing it. You may be able to cut off the old hose bibb & replace it with a new one that doesn't have the anti-siphon device attached. FWIW, I would only do this if 1) I owned the home, 2) There was no danger of cross contamination.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No it is not a pressure relief, Its really more like a check valve. And if you do want to cut it off just dont leave your hose in anything like a water trough for example. And make sure you turn your hose bib off completely.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Remember, about 20 years ago people were dieing by the thousands all over the country from contaminated water from not using these. People used to think it was a sign that aliens had invaded us and poisoned them. So, the plumbing makers designed this valve to stop the slaughter.:hihi:

I first ran into this about that long ago when a building inspector told me about it, and said I needed to promise him I would replace my hose bibs with them. When I looked at him like I thought he was insane, he said, all he wanted was the promise - it was up to me whether or when I actually did it. He obviously had as little respect for the need for them as I did. I have yet to see one installed anywhere. (People continue to drop dead in the streets as a result.:biggrin:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
You dont have to cut it off. Its looks to me like it is screwed on like a hose, use some channel-locks or a pipe wrench and see if it un-screws. Then throw it in a junk drawer. And voila, no worries....

Scott.

·
Registered
600 Posts
maybe it has a child proof mechinism on it. you know the kind that all kids can take care of but adults never can.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
The ones I see everyday at work have a set screw that holds them in place. The plumbers usually break off the head of the bolt, to try and stop people from taking them off.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If it is code in your area, it may not be removable, that is why I suggested removing the old hose bibb & soldering in a new one without the anti-siphon device. Some of these devices are one way, you can screw them on but they can't be unscrewed. You might be able to cut off the collar without damaging the hose threads of the faucet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think you have an anti-siphon outlet on the hose bib, which keeps ground water from being sucked back into the house plumbing, where it might cause massive illness, suffering, death and destruction. I hate them. I don't use them.
You obviously don't take it seriously, but backsiphoning has made people, and their neighbors, very sick.

If you're on your own well and can only endanger yourself, then fine don't use 'em. It's your responsibility to keep your pump running, anyway, so backsiphoning doesn't occur. But if you're on a shared municipal water system, IMHO it's irresponsible to care so little for your neighbors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts