·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sweeeeet!

I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, so I'm liking this!

·
Registered
877 Posts
You're the hardware guy, I'm the software guy :)

It should be pretty awesome and unique when done.

LOL- Speaking of hardware, I'm going to need your software expertise to explore the control possibilities with this.......

It's 5 channel LED driver with an integrated Atmega328 chip & DS1307RTC. The board features PWM control for all 5 channels. PWM control of two cooling fans, (2) I2C connections (with 5V and pull up resistors already installed), and (2) Dallas ONEWIRE connections with supporting circuitry for temperature sensing.

The drivers feature user programmable current settings of 300,700,1000,&1400ma per channel. Lot's of Led driving horsepower, but I'm at a loss to what creative software could be employed to control 1 or a group of them together. Any Ideas?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would play with lights mimicking the sun traveling across the sky, like more intense on the right in the morning and more intense on the left in the evening, even color shift if rgb. Normal aquarium lighting is boring because it's even. It's more dramatic with spot lighting. This maybe even be a good cure for algae.

You can play with light intensity for moon phases at night too.

If the board can connect to a weather service, it can even mimic outdoor conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
797 Posts
Looks like your really know what you're doing, I wish I had those skills.

So do I have it right?

The arduino would be loaded with a sketch. I would wire up whatever I want to use to the arduino and then go to the website to add them? So for example one day I decide I want another temperature probe, I wire it to the arduino and add it from the website? Then another day I decide I want to redo my lights and add 2 more channels, do I just add them on the website and wire it up and it works?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, It's hardware "agnostic". You can use whatever device and plug them in where ever.
The only required devices are the arduino ethernet shield, an arduino mega, and an RTC.

In some cases you will have to write code though like for an I2C device. The bit wise data is so different on each device that it's not possible to write generic code for it.

But for any digital or pwm or analog pins, it should be plug and play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a really cool project and I look forward to your progress. I was thinking of trying to do something similar. Being away for work a lot I'd like to be able to login to a website and check how my aquariums are doing. Maybe even have a video feed or pictures that update every couple hours or at specific events.

My arduino experience is pretty limited to simple tasks like turning things on and off via buttons. I have no idea where to begin on getting it hooked up to the internets. But your project is inspiring me to learn.

Thanks!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a really cool project and I look forward to your progress. I was thinking of trying to do something similar. Being away for work a lot I'd like to be able to login to a website and check how my aquariums are doing. Maybe even have a video feed or pictures that update every couple hours or at specific events.

My arduino experience is pretty limited to simple tasks like turning things on and off via buttons. I have no idea where to begin on getting it hooked up to the internets. But your project is inspiring me to learn.

Thanks!
Thanks for the interest. Video & picture feed is more appropriate for a proper computer like your desktop or a Rasberri Pi. The Arduino is just a little micro-controller so it's more adept at controlling the servo of your webcam or something. It has only so many sram and can't handle large images. Actually as I write this it, I'm thinking it might be possible to stream a large image straight to the client browser rather than storing it so,hmm it could be possible but video would be too much.

I can definite add email alerts for events.

·
Registered
797 Posts
So what did you do with the temperature probes? Can a person hook many up to the same pin or does it have to be one per pin?

For a video couldn't you have a spot on the website showing the video feed from a USB type camera plugged directly into the computer?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So what did you do with the temperature probes? Can a person hook many up to the same pin or does it have to be one per pin?
The mega has so many digital pins and it'll make the logistics & coding easier if people just plug it in another pin.

For a video couldn't you have a spot on the website showing the video feed from a USB type camera plugged directly into the computer?
I'll have to figure this out. The feed has to go through something so yeah, you can go straight to your computer and see the video through some app like Skype, google etc... The arduino wouldn't be involved.

You can also buy a little cmos camera for your arduino and you can aim it at your aquarium. The arduino would be responsible for displaying the image.

Bump: My next device to add is a generic analog IN device. They're usually sensors.
This web controller will allow you to grab the reading and you can enter in some math formula into the web interface and the formula will transform the reading like Fahrenheit to Celsius.

It's a neat algorithm called shunting yard. Coding it would take me years to figure out but thank goodness I found an example already made.

·
Registered
797 Posts
On the video feed instead of using skype or whatever can't it be viewed from the website used with the controller, then it looks more integrated?

On the screen after login there would also be a window which would show you the feed from your USB camera which can be turned on or off, something like that.

This all looks very interesting, how long do you think till your done?

1 - 20 of 201 Posts