The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i have ben earning some money recently so i thought i'd spend it.
i have really been inspired by some riperiums on this thread,
i like the fact that they are different and interesting,
so i thought i would have a crack at one myself.
the dimensions will be very different,
70cm longx35cm deepx20cm high.
i odered the glass yesterday and its here now,
so ill glue it this weekend.
i want to have one corner with enchinodorus growing and a "fallen tree" going into the water, in which i will have corydora and ancistrus.
i dont think i will have plants in the water, apart from maybe some moss,
as i want to make it like a river, so i will have water flowing from right to left i think.

any thoughts?

do corydora and ancistrus live together in the wild?
does moss need a high humidity to grow emmersed?
how strong of a light would i need for growing enchinodorus cordifolius emmersed?
does enchinodorus quadricostautus grow well emmersed, does it convert well?

thanks

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hello there Plecostomouse! Glad to see another person interested in ripariums on here!

I can help you with a couple of your questions.

To grow Echinodurus cordifolius emersed (and grow moss underwater), I'd reccomend purchasing a T5HO (HO = high output) light fixture and then hanging it a couple inches above the tank. This will give both the emersed and aquatic plants plenty of light. Just be sure the fixture has a good reflector.

Moss does need to have a high level of humidity to be grown emersed.

I have never had any personal exerience with Echinodorus quadricostautus, but I do believe it will be able to grow well emersed.

Good luck with your setup! And if you have more questiosn, feel free to ask!

- Jake

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey riperium guy

thanks for the answers :)
i wont have the aqurium very high so ill be using plants that grow in the normal humidity, so i think i will hang the light over the plants, as they grow :p
i will be growing enchinodorus argentinensis and probably cordidolius, heard they live fine in room humidity.

thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so the tank is built.
here are some pics of it taking shape

im getting excited already haha
could i buy a haning light from some hhardware shop or something that would do the job? the tank will get a decent amount of sun light to.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The tank looks great! Nice job on it!

What type of shop light are we talking about? How many bulb? And what "type" (ie, T8, T12?)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
After you trim and clean up your silcone, go back and fill everything really good as many times as you have to, then the longer you can wait the better off you are to cure the silicone, 10 days min, 30 max.

That's a very cool project and I can't wait to see the out come, post all the pics you can.

Lighting link http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/overdriven-normal-outputodno-lights/

The way you have the bottom installed means you should cure it for some time without moving the tank.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.