The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

so i have recently completly redone my 50L tank.

lighting is 2x15 watt t5 tubes on for ten hours daily
filtration 2x101f aquaone internal filters.
ferts are jbl florapol and flourish excel, this will be the only source of carbon for my plants, i have chosen relatively slow growing plants so the demand for co2 is not massive.

plants crypt wendtii brown x 10 or so
crypt undulata x 1
narrow leafed java fern x 3
java fern x 2
windelov java fern x 1
dwarf sag x 10

plann on getting some more plants like wendtii green and some hygrophila polysperma.

so here are the pics
i used rocks to increase the height in the back.

florapol layer

all the substrate

with rocks

planted

water was clouded when i took the pics but has settled now.

what do you think black or white back ground

and my prolific GBA

any tips or critisism please tell what you think

thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks great and plecos are awesome

You should put some wood in there. Plecos rasp on it as a source of fiber.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am going to that when i get the time,
i have a little bit in there its what i attached the ferns to.

and thanks.

oh and what do you think looks better black or white back ground?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
White background with dark fish and vice verse is my opinion.
With your ABN a dark background will make him pop!

Those stones you have are awesome with so many scaping ideas running through my head LOL. Where I'm at those hard rock, washed round river stones are imported by landscapers. I've collected some on trips to other areas of the country but here limestone is king.
Cool looking rock but if your not keeping rift lakes it makes my waters KH to high for my use.

Like any kid I saw what I can't get easily and rock like the one your bn is on in the pic is really cool. I'd use a rock pile somewhere in the tank.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh wow! Nice tank!

I can't wait to see it all grown in and established...

I agree with wkndracer tho, with the black background being the better choice for the tank...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

a heap of new crypts, polysperma rosenverg. and am getting a school of 10 neon tetra (yes i know totally over done but a friend is selling his school for $1nz each so i thought k)

dwarf sag is doing well, fish are having some issues adapting to their new inviroment, not as much hiding spots and stuff but over wise they are fine.

like it? yes no? why?
what you think of the wood?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

almost 2 months later and i am very happy with how the scape is coming along :p
i have played around with stem plants and have replaced the narrow leaf java fern with star grass, we'll see how that goes.

fts

different angle

i really like the java ferns leaves they sort of have a hammered look

star grass

crypts (wendtii brown and green), possibly my favourite plant

windelov

hygrophila polysperma

christmas moss

cardinals :)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I like it and the black background not only sets off the fish but the plants as well. I'm not a big Pleco fan but he is rather cool looking, I've always prefered the nano and small fish, I also have C. wendtii brown, C. wendtii v. tropica and love the colors, patterns, and textures of the leaves, keep piling it the Crypts they are all very good looking in my opinion.

Keep up the good work I think you've done an outstanding job on this one!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like it and the black background not only sets off the fish but the plants as well. I'm not a big Pleco fan but he is rather cool looking, I've always prefered the nano and small fish, I also have C. wendtii brown, C. wendtii v. tropica and love the colors, patterns, and textures of the leaves, keep piling it the Crypts they are all very good looking in my opinion.

Keep up the good work I think you've done an outstanding job on this one!
you put :) on my face

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look Awesome. Keep it up.:proud:

Man i wish i lived in the south island, there is such a big selection of hard scape materials for free and its more beautiful.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Sweet video, I liked the still shots added in and naming the plants, but the music was quite nice and calming, too many people show there tank with metal banging in the background, it just doesn't go together IMO. At the very end what was the fish on the back wall of the aquarium, it looked like it was just past the fry stage?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look Awesome. Keep it up.:proud:

Man i wish i lived in the south island, there is such a big selection of hard scape materials for free and its more beautiful.
thanks, yes SA is were its at :D
but in nelson lfs are [censored][censored][censored][censored] sorry if that offends anyone

Sweet video, I liked the still shots added in and naming the plants, but the music was quite nice and calming, too many people show there tank with metal banging in the background, it just doesn't go together IMO. At the very end what was the fish on the back wall of the aquarium, it looked like it was just past the fry stage?
thanks for the feed back :D
thats a GBA young approx 3 weeks old

1 - 20 of 56 Posts