The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be a long shot but Any that stay small that are good algae eaters that eat the brown diatom algae?? and don't mess up a planted tank?? And are fine in a community tank with corys and otos and Rams....Any one have any ideas??

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have bristlenoses (Ancistrus). I have both albino and brown bristlenoses. The albinos stay smaller than the brown ones and the females are smaller than the males. Males are around 4" body length, and most of the females are smaller. They are good in planted tanks, and don't generally bother the plants, but sometimes will rasp on larger flat leaves (like sword plant leaves). They keep the glass very clean, as well as rocks, wood, etc., but don't clean diatom algae off fine plant leaves. Some people don't like them in planted tanks because of the fact that they will rasp on leaves, but I don't find that a big problem. They seem to go after the older, outer leaves of swords, and I regularly trim those off anyway.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My favorites have to be farlowellas. They get long (6 inches), but are actually smallish fish. Great cleaners. My runner up is the bulldog pleco (aka rubberlip) which max out around 4 inches. Bristlenose are good as well, but tend to be a little more massive than the above mentioned.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
What size tank are you looking to put the pleco in? You need a bare minimum 20g tank for 1 bristle nose (i can't recall sizing for rubberlip.. i want to say 30g? but not sure). Note that even the small breeds are not very delicate around small plants and can easily uproot things like hc when they swim by, or tear large fragile leaf plants (say n. Taiwan .. mine rips just from a betta crashing through it, and it is 1/3-1/4 the size and doesn't have spikes on its body like a pleco) from moving around..they're not delicate/agile creatures..

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True true thanks every one for the advice and comments I was looking at a clown or rubberlip.. I have a 30 gallon tank. I have otos in my tank and they just don't do any thing...I understand Plenco's are not the gentlest of creatures but I like their uniqueness lol

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Clown plecos do not eat diatoms their whole lives so if you are getting one to be a cleaner, don't get that.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Get a rubberlip. Clown plecos are wood eaters and do not touch algae. BNs get much larger and tend to mess with plants. Not eating them but waltzing through them and sometimes uprooting the plants in the process. Also I found that my BNs prefer algae wafers and other sinking fish food intended for other fish once they get older. My BNs are 6". My rubberlips topped out at 4" and eat algae all their lives. However, they will not eat all algae but the brown diatom they will. But only get one rubberlips as they can become territorial against their own kind. Also they need a cave or other hiding place to call their own.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome thank you every one!!! I will look at the choice and go from there and see what my LFS has to offer also! Again thanks! This site it the best for every thing!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well everyone I got myself a rubberlip pleco!!!! He's a beautiful looking little guy...but so far since I've put him in he's sat at the bottom of the tank and half off on the floor other half stuck to the glass...he looks to be breathing heavy possibly..he might just be scared and stressed..I touch him he jumps a little ways a way but that's it....ill keep tabs and see what's going on though..any one else know if this is normal?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Normal behaviour for a new fish. He should be used to the new routine and habitat in 3 or 4 days.
P.S. if you get tired of it, you can eat it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normal behaviour for a new fish. He should be used to the new routine and habitat in 3 or 4 days.
P.S. if you get tired of it, you can eat it.
I haven't had a fish this lazy or non snoopy in some time lol not used to it...ya true though just gotta give it a few.....eat it... You can't be serious?!?!?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I don't think there would be all that much meat on a rubberlip. That armor is in the way, after all, so you'd have to have a common or sailfin pleco to have more than just a bite.
It's normal for plecos to just sit and not do much. Unless it's on its back or side, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I read a book once titled "the secret to a happy life". Inside it had once sentence "resist the temptation to buy a boat".

IMO it could say "resist the temptation to buy a pleco" (however I did see a youtube video of a guy that ONLY raised plecos that was kind of cool)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.