The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What kind of pleco, how large and how large is the tank? Any other algae eaters in the tank? Does it have a lot of algae growing? Also most algae eating plecos like zucchini, shelled peas or canned french style beans, so it does not always have to be an algae wafer.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of pleco, how large and how large is the tank? Any other algae eaters in the tank? Does it have a lot of algae growing? Also most algae eating plecos like zucchini, shelled peas or canned french style beans, so it does not always have to be an algae wafer.
I have a albino bristle nose in a 20 gallon and a whiptail catfish in a 26 gallon. The 20 gallon with the BN doesn't have alot of algae and 26 gallon with the whiptail has plenty of green hair and green spot algae.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I doubt the whiptail will eat green spot algae. I don't know of any pleco beside the rubberlip that does. So if I were you I would feed both plecos at least every other day with an algae wafer or some other fresh, canned or frozen vegetable. BNs will also eat carnivore and omnivore wafers but should not get too much of either of those just now and then as a treat or to get them into spawning condition.
Do you have some real driftwood in the tank with your BN? They are supposed to need it for digestion and will much on the wood.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I have quite a bit of driftwood in her tank. I've been giving her a wafer about every 3 days but wanted to see if that was too little or too much. My sister has a regular pleco in her 10 gallon tank that she's had for years and she has never given it a wafer (or veggies), kind of interesting... maybe she overfeeds on the flakes and that has been able to sustain it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A common pleco in a 10 gal tank is not good. They should get large, 12" and larger. I would imagine her pleco is stunted. And not just because it does not get enough food but also because the tank is way too little for a common pleco, which should be housed in a 55 gal and up. So please do not treat your fish the same way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I feed my BN's a wafer everyday, and veggies/bloodworms as treats. There should always be some driftwood as a source of fibre.

But for my 6" L168, i noticed it stops eating at that size and just sits there in the same spot all day and ignores food and veggies. I think its too fat to hold its own weight against the glass.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Flip9 can you post a pic. I'd love to see him.

We have a new pleco and an otto and to corries and so i'm glad to see this post. Do cories also like algea wafers?

We usually brak a wafer in half and add part on each side every 4 days. Is that too much or not enough? Don't really have much if any algea on the wals and have changed to sand a few weeks ago. Just have java moss in the tank.

Sorry if I hijacked but this is a great thread

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feed my 7" pleco one or two algae wafers every day, and he still keeps my 55g clean as a whistle. I know he's cleaning because before I got him, my tank was an algae farm.

Julia

·
Registered
199 Posts
Flip9 can you post a pic. I'd love to see him.

We have a new pleco and an otto and to corries and so i'm glad to see this post. Do cories also like algea wafers?

We usually brak a wafer in half and add part on each side every 4 days. Is that too much or not enough? Don't really have much if any algea on the wals and have changed to sand a few weeks ago. Just have java moss in the tank.
Ill see if i can, its usually hiding near the back.

Cories can be picky when it comes to algae wafers, some take time before they get used to it.

You need to watch when and how much they eat the wafers and decide from there if they need more.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
This cracks me up that you say they only like the french style green beans!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
They eat other green beans too, but the French style are already cut in half and that makes it easier for the plecos to get at the inside. And they are tender without the waxy outer layer that my plecos choose to ignore when I feed them other beans and I then have to vaccum the skin up. So I prefer the French style.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clean tank or not?

Do I need to clean my tank before putting my chocolate bristle nose pleco in the tank. Like should I just clean the gravel and do a small water change or should I do all that plus clean off the algea or should I let the algea stay? And when should I do water change and cleaning day before I get my Pleco or day of?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.