The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small tank; 8.5G and as you see it is not fully filled. I also have ghost shrimp which for the most part seem to be fine, they escape the Betta quickly and he looses interest...that is when he can even see them. I am wondering about a Pleco which can dwarf to a tank? I have trouble with cleaning the glass and the back wall behind background plants under the rear hangers is the worst. Plecos don't really swim in the line of sight they stay on the surfaces like a moving rock, I do not think the Betta can hurt or stress the Pleco but I assume he will get used to them like shrimp...sometimes he just watches a shrimp at a distance and seems more playful up front.

Should I try to find a small Pleco? Are there any other kinds of glass cleaning fish??

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bristlenose plecos always seem to stop growing around 3-3.5 inches in length. Great at eating algae and leftover food. The only time he is "aggressive" is when defending his sinking pellet (he kept the tank so clean that I had to feed him every few days) and all he does is flare and wiggle to scare the other fish off.

Many types of pleco aren't good at eating algae, but the bristlenose is.

You could also try a mag-float. You don't have to feed those and should be able to go around corners. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Most plecos get too big.. A bristlenose or clown pleco might work, but I've seen some big bristlenose so you might have to rehome later. Can't tell if you have it but they need driftwood.
I second a mag floater for algae.
I wouldn't put nerites in there i think they're Gonna climb out quick.

Love your tank!

Reactions: Teebo

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Would not worry bout cleaning back glass (hardly anyone does ?).
Can clean sides and front with clean paper towel folded into fourth's.
Beta's prefer warmer water than most of the pleco's who thrive in cool oxygen rich water with fairly good movement.
I too think the tank is too small for pleco's with exception of maybe LDA25 if you can find em, or otocinclus that the betta may,or may not leave alone.
My two cent's

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I agree a pleco will probably get too big. I have 2 nerites and 2 otos in my ten gallon w/a betta and they do fine- glass is pretty clean too. I think you'd be fine with 1 or 2 nerites. Your tank might be a little small for otocinclus- they like to be in groups. Mine are really too few in numbers- I had 3 and lost one recently- but they are pretty active - seem to need space- so I hesitate to add more. Plus some bettas can be aggressive towards the otos. I would try nerites.

I wouldn't put nerites in there i think they're Gonna climb out quick.
Why would they climb out? Only once I've found one on the glass coverlid but it turns out it had crawled up there to eat some algae. I think the snails would only attempt escape if water quality is poor.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Plecos are bio load monsters THEY POOP CONSTANTLY and a bare minimum tank size is 20g for a single bristlenose pleco. Do NOT put a pleco in that tank, you will regret it.
I'd recommend adapting your layout or how you clean and clean yourself as its much easier to clean algae by hand than clean up all the poop a pleco can make. They can have turd strands easily 4x their body length dangling off them, at a max of 4-6" that's 16-24" turds when adult, and it just keeps pumping out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you want something else, go for a nerite or two. There aren't any algae-eating fish that will be comfortable with a betta in a tank that small. Shrimp, a betta, and some snails is just about right for a tank like that.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

So lots of suggestions for Nerites, except the climbing out factor? I would think as they hit the air and make it to the top they will want to go back down to the water? lol do Nerites reproduce though I heard snails are impossible to get rid of like Duckweed? I really like the idea of a few snails it adds a new dimension of life to my tank!

I already have a magnetic cleaner as well as tank cleaning brushes, but there are some areas where brown spot algae continues to reappear very fast in the same spots...my water is literally always 0-0-0 every time I test it the tank is very balanced/great bacteria load.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Nerites lay eggs, but the eggs can't hatch in freshwater. They're noninvasive. They also come in quite a few varieties- you can get them yellow, brown, and black, and you can get striped ones, ones with horns, or flat little ones that look like they've been smushed.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I have nerites in both my tanks for several years now, and they have never tried to climb out. I don't think that should be a problem. There are some real pretty ones. They do lay eggs all over the tank, but as noted, won't hatch in freshwater. Some people don't like seeing the little eggs all over the tank, though.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
All shell designs are equally effective at cleaning and other qualities?
Yes, I think so
Eggs ehh, will my shrimp eat the eggs??
I doubt it- I think the eggs are adhered too strongly to surfaces. But I've never kept shrimp so maybe someone else will reply for sure.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I had 2 nitrites in my 55g open top riparium, they ever crawled out. They only leave the tank due to lack of food, poor water quality, or being harassed by other inhabitants (betta). Female nerites are a nightmare, they leg eggs constantly that do not hatch in fresh water and take months to break down. The eggs are very hard so no fish eats them and they're diffuclt to remove by hand if on driftwood/decor.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone got a picture of their average egg infestation?

How many do you recommend for my size tank is 4 too many? I can buy 4 on eBay (2 Tiger, 2 Zebra)

Do you ever have to feed them? I keep minimal shrimp so I don't have to feed them often, they are not there as pets they are there as cleaners with a job to do.

Hmmm, only the female snails lay eggs?? Is there a way to decipher the sex of them so I can keep just males?!

What about Hermit Crabs?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nerites do crawl out regardless of conditions and fear when hitting air ( there are Reports of them being found accross rooms even) so i personally would be worried with an open top or you could just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Closeup one of my driftwood pieces with nerite eggs on it-

and the culprit herself. You can see some of them are decaying. I've gotten used to it and just ignore them now. Some people find it unsightly. They're also on glass, some plant leaves and even other snail's shells, but mine seem to deposit eggs on the wood mostly.

The only person I've ever seen claim to be able to tell male from female snails is here Applesnail.net ? View topic - Olive nerite breeding/veliger pics in freshwater but I have never been able to see so closely on my own snails to observe the difference. Once I seem to have been lucky- I had only one nerite and no eggs. Got another nerite later when this one died, and it laid lots of eggs. I assume the first one I had was male and the second one, female.

I don't feed them. They seem to get enough from algae- are constantly working on it. I have two in my ten gallon and four in my thirty-eight (along with other snail species). If you don't have a lot of algae I would assume one nerite is enough.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow that is a lot of eggs but does not look horrible, sort of marine looking. I do not have any wood in my tank luckily, but I do have a decor cave that would be extremely hard to remove them from.

I could always quarantine a few in separate containers to see which lay eggs, and provide food. How often do they lay? Regularly or in batches?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts