The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get some otto's, but also thinking of adding a pleco to my 75g planted.
I love the looks of the starrynight, and leopard also looks nice.
I saw a blue spot on a vendors list(not cheap) but can't find a pic.
I'm thinking if I get one, and just one, want a nice one.
What are opinions on these guys, and is this asking for trouble?
Will they bother cherry shrimp?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Some pleco's get really really large. For ID and pics check out the site "planet catfish". They will also uproot carpet plants like UG and HC.

Personally I stick to the dwarf ones, max 5". Otherwise they're great for eating certain algae, like brown diatoms and from my experience they like soft algae.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I don't see anything that specifies dwarf plecos, maybe not looking in right place.
Would a starrynight or leopard be considered a dwarf?
I saw a bluespot pleco pic, looks really nice, but didn't see size chart of any kind.
Definitely displaying noobiness!lol

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you google you'll find lots of info.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but I have enough things only a mother could love already!lol
Not sure why, but I feel the need to have a really nice pleco.
Emporer seems to fit the bill, but I sure like the looks of the starrynight, and queen, maybe vampire.
LnB, no doubt, about a gazillion links from googling dwarf plecos, would like to narrow that down a bit.(Think I even saw a pleco clothing line, that may cater to short people!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AVI, thanks, those gold nuggets definitely catch my eye, but I saw some comments they can be a lil unruly in a planted tank.
Maybe some peeps will chime in w/ more opinions.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The L183 (starlight or starrynight) pleco is a blackwater species pleco and should be kept in those conditions. Very soft water with tannins or peat filtered. Otherwise I doubt they will live long.

Not sure what you mean by leopard pleco. There are a couple with leopard as part of their name. If you're looking at the L134, leopard frog pleco, they are an awesome, but shy little pleco and do well in planted tanks. They are a bit pricey if you can find them. I believe there is still a ban on exporting them from Brazil. They are an awesome looking little pleco, a peckoltia species actually. Is this the one you're thinking about?

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
AVI, thanks, those gold nuggets definitely catch my eye, but I saw some comments they can be a lil unruly in a planted tank.
Maybe some peeps will chime in w/ more opinions.
I can't say that it never happens but I've never had a problem like that with them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pinkertd, that is a beautiful pleco!
Not the one I was looking at(A red tail leopard, and I think too big)
I'm not used to "L" #'s on fish, will have to really pay attn to these #'s
I have a credit w/ aquatropics, and most of what I want is cheap, so I may go big on the pleco.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, they have a peckoltia L147 (I'm not familiar w/ peckoltia)
The leopard they have is a striped L49
They also have a yellow spot L200(could that be gold nugget?)
Unfortunately they don't have pics, so I have to cross ref on other sites, and some have diff common names.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The L200 is the Green Phantom pleco.
And yes, common fish names will drive you crazy as the same fish can be called 3 or 4 different things. Stick with looking up the L-numbers on planet catfish for a true id on the pleco and do more research from there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also recommend a gold nugget pleco (L-018). They are the best looking pleco i have seen. Mine isn't that shy and likes to hang out on my drift wood where my filter output is. I haven't had any problems with him and any of my plants. The only downside to the gold nuggets is they are not the best algae eaters, they rarely clean the glass, they prefer to clean driftwood and most fish profiles say they need driftwood to be healthy and happy.

For some funny pictures of mine see this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/92385-pleco-behavior.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
There are two "color morphs" of the Goldnugget. I don't know if they are the same species or not but I believe they are. One has less spots but larger spots than the other. In the trade, I've heard them referred to as Queen Goldnugget Plecos. I find their coloration nicer than the kind with a lot more, but smaller spots because the yellows are more intense. Could be just a matter of taste though.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Starry Night pleco? Gold Nugget is prettier, but I want to stay as small as possible and get as much glass cleaning done as possible.

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a Starry Night Pleco in my planted tank right now. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to you. First of all, it grows faster and bigger than the Goldnugget in my experience. I had both in the tank for very long time (until a month or two ago when I lost the Goldnugget because of a CO2 mishap.) The Goldnugget and the Starry Night were in the tank for over 5 years and they started out the same size and the Starry Night was about twice as big after that time. And, more importantly, I think....the Starry Night is much more nocturnal and is almost never...ever...visible, hiding all of the time, while the Goldnugget was out just about all of the time and looking very beautiful.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks Avi. I had read that the Starry Night only grows to 4 inches. How big were your Starry and Gold Nugget? Any problems with plants from either?

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had Goldnuggets for many years. Maybe they do grow large in nature but mine have never gotten over even three-inches...even after having them for more than five years and in good condition. The Starry Night that I have, I'd say, is about 4-inches now. I can add, too, that when I first got it, it had much brighter white marking...now they're barely visible when I get to see that fish. Neither ever bothered any of the plants in any way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for responses guys.
Debbi, I did finally find the page w/ L# listings and pics, super informative, and lots of great ID pics as well.
AVI, I also saw the starry gets bigger, so it's out.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Emporer, unless I hear neg feedback on that.
I'd definitely go for the Peckoltia same as Debbis, but don't see any anywhere, but hey, keeps me from copyin ya!lol
Gold nugget may be next option, and will keep eye out for queen gold.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts