The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The sailfin pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) has 10 distinctly elongated dorsal rays where most plecos only have 8 (or less), so it is not a sailfin. I have two of these, and they are both very orange in color. I am just guessing, but I think it may be a bulldog pleco.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks more like an Ancistrus (bristle nose).
The sailfin pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) has 10 distinctly elongated dorsal rays where most plecos only have 8 (or less), so it is not a sailfin. I have two of these, and they are both very orange in color. I am just guessing, but I think it may be a bulldog pleco.
both of those were thoughts... but i guess i won't know for sure until he's older.

Cardinal, whatever that larger leafed plant was that you sent with the shrimp is being eaten... i'm assuming by this guy. whats the other plant that was in there?

once this guy comes out from under the stump i'll see about a better picture. all i know is he is well armored... i really hope he isnt a common, otherwise i'll be calling the LFS about returning him. a 20g is not the place for him.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
it does seem to have the markings on the cadel fin like a calcio bristlenose but a better pic would really help something with size refrence prob would help a ton also. doesnt look like a L1 sailfin there eyes norm remind me of the umbrella corp logo. and if u can turn the pic right side up

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can easily tell if its a male or female, once its matured, by how long its bristles on the nose are. Males will get very elongated tentacles while the females will stay very short (maybe half an inch).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.