The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if pleco eating a lot of wood normal or water problem? I have checked the water before. Cause when I first got the pleco were eating there body length of drift wood in a couple of days or less. Then they stuff them selves in it and try to hid in it. Should I be checking the water when she eats more wood. I use to have two plecos I believe some one stole the driftwood with the pleco. So I only have one right now.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Why would somebody break into your house to steal driftwood of all things? Especially wet driftwood which has a catfish in it?

Depending on the pleco species, they can certainly eat a lot of wood. Some species are devout wood-ivores. So it's not abnormal for your pleco to eat a lot of wood. However, you should still do regular water parameter testing and change water accordingly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't just drift wood. I think they saw the pleco cause it liked to stay outside of the wood then hide under it. They also were stealing plants to and shrimp so it wasn't just one thing. Also thanks for the reply I think I am thinking of doing water changes more often getting another test kit for ammonia cause my other one ran out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts