The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I haven’t seen my pleco in a long time and I have some money now. My plec was a 60$ Snowball bn and I can’t find him anymore. Would it be a bad idea to buy a adult small pleco for my tank as a replacement? Will they fight? I mostly want it as a pet as opposed to a cleaner. What pleco are the most outgoing?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Have you taken out your decor and thoroughly searched for the pleco? Could just be hiding out. I wouldn't consider another pleco until you find the one you have, be it alive or dead. Have you noticed an ammonia spike? Have you been testing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you taken out your decor and thoroughly searched for the pleco? Could just be hiding out. I wouldn't consider another pleco until you find the one you have, be it alive or dead. Have you noticed an ammonia spike? Have you been testing?
I don’t test, I have 0 nitrates 0 ammonia 0 nitrite from a lfs test (Hanna checker) because my lfs wanted to know my water because they are shocked how I can do it. Fish make poop plant eat poop and done. I can’t remove everything in my tank because it would crash my tank from my substrate being anaerobic. I tried feeding banana and they didn’t eat it. I’d assume he’s just in the back of the tank where there’s more algae and comes out at night

I really want a l14 but they could get 1’ long. I don’t think that’s a extreme issue in a 36x18 tank though because it probably would take forever to get thwt size like how common pleco are. From my research most big pleco grow out to about 8” in 1st years then grow like 1” a year

Oops they cost way too much

L075 Para Pleco (Peckoltia sabaji) | Aqua Imports this one looks cool

Or a phantom pleco

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I didn't say take everything out, just the decor, only plants and substrate left. This will not crash your tank. 2 large pleco plus other fish are not going to be okay in a 36×18. If you don't test your water and only bring water in to be tested "because your lfs wanted to know how you do it" then you're definitely not getting 100% of the story. I really hope your pleco is alive but please don't introduce another until you find your first one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't say take everything out, just the decor, only plants and substrate left. This will not crash your tank. 2 large pleco plus other fish are not going to be okay in a 36×18. If you don't test your water and only bring water in to be tested "because your lfs wanted to know how you do it" then you're definitely not getting 100% of the story. I really hope your pleco is alive but please don't introduce another until you find your first one.
My decor is in the substrate too and there is a mulm layer in my tank if I did it I’d nuke my tank

I could test it it’s just a pain to do so because I don’t have strips

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The whole process of keeping an aquarium is a pain, I suppose... I test daily on new set ups and weekly on older. Just please find the fish you have before you do anything else. It's pretty irresponsible not to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.