The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice sized pleco (6-7 inches long) and until recently he was in my 30 gallon. What happened, what my girlfriend says, is he attacked one of my angels. When I finally got home the pleco had the angel pinned against the glass with his mouth over the angel. I have moved him from the larger tank to a smaller one until I get my larger breather bags in to ship him off.

Is it possible that the pleco actually attacked and started eating the fish or could this have been an accident where the pleco moved to the side of the tank and the pleco happened to be in the way?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have heard of plecos attacking angels and discus before. I dont think it was any accident. If you do a search you will find of a few people with similar issues that said you shouldnt keep plecos with such a broad-sided fish such as angels or discus..

·
Registered
722 Posts
sounds like your pleco was craving some juicy slime coat. mmmmmmmm.
yes this is true
many people have problems with sucker mouth fish latching on to their discus or angels...even small otto cats will do this
slime coat must be tastier that algae :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Before I became a planted man, I had a mature 6" parrot chiclid with a 14" pleco and this was a battle of the titans. Everyday my water would splash, fins would be ripped and scales would be all white and torn. There where so many holes in the plecos dorsal fin it was crazy. FInally after weeks of the battle I couldnt handle it anymore. I took them both in for store credit:hihi:

·
Registered
562 Posts
yes this is true
many people have problems with sucker mouth fish latching on to their discus or angels...even small otto cats will do this
slime coat must be tastier that algae :icon_lol:
really? Do you think my angels could be in danger from my Otos? For some reason I never thought the otos would go after anyone.. they're such harmless seeming fish...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What do you feed your pleco? Most fish/animals will search for food elsewhere if they're lacking some kind of nutrients. Make sure you feed your pleco a variety of foods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept the pleco well-fed so I don't know what the deal is. As I said though, I removed him. I also have a CAE in the tank, any chance of him doing any harm?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I also have a CAE in the tank, any chance of him doing any harm?
Yes. They are quite notorious at sucking slime as they mature.:wink: I despise this fish very much despite the fact that juveniles will eat algae but this taste fades as they mature.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yes. They are quite notorious at sucking slime as they mature.:wink: I despise this fish very much despite the fact that juveniles will eat algae but this taste fades as they mature.
yeah, I had CAE way back when. They were like a gang of thugs. I'll never get them again.

I'm getting the same feeling for the common pleco. They're a handful since they eat my plants as well. I had to give it away to my sister.

Plecos scavenge for meat protein too. Try throwing in a cube of frozen bloodworm,brine shrimps, etc.... once in a while.. Maybe they'll stop attacking the other fish. I believe they're nocturnal so you can feed them at night.

·
Registered
722 Posts
really? Do you think my angels could be in danger from my Otos? For some reason I never thought the otos would go after anyone.. they're such harmless seeming fish...
actually i think your angels may be more of a danger to your ottos....
some angels will eat anything that will fit in their mouths (ie:neon tetras ,ect)

but ottos have spines so they might just get lodged in the angels throat, much to the chagrin of both fish (and their demise)

ottos are known more for latching on to discus

funny thing about fish is that you never know what they are going to do...sometimes you are lucky and everyone gets along....sometimes your not

·
Registered
234 Posts
ahhh jeez, i had this problem in my 65 when i wasnt quite sure what i was doing. so i bought 3 common plecos , and a leopard pleco. these jerks loved my angels , since this was a angel only tank (15+ angels) i woke up to 3 or 4 dead every morning ,until i finally caught the jerks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts