The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so *&^^&*$ confused. I am making a 75gal African drainage swamp biotope. African Sprite, Waterfern, val, anubias..maybe some nymphaea species. I'm going to have driftwood.

And between everything - flourite, laterite, eco-complete, tahitian moonsand, soilmaster select, and schultz's aqua soil, I feel..

so, so lost.

Please just tell me what to get. I'd love for it to me really natural and to benefit the plants, of course.

Thank you so much.

Ashley

·
Registered
663 Posts
A black flourite will be coming out soon. That will look more natural. Can you wait for that? I'm going to be switching my Flourite tanks to the black Flourite when it comes out because I've never really cared that much for the look of Flourite (color).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well...they've started advertising it. From Yonp11 thread:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/46861-new-flourite.html, What's the point of paying for advertising for something you can't provide? I would guess within 4 months it should be available. But, you're right...I asked the Seachem rep on APC if and when it was coming out and he said it was coming out but he couldn't tell me when.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
...well, besides turning this into a discussion of Black Flourite (THREADJACKERS!!! Hahahah, just kidding. Guilty of that myself sometimes).

What's your budget? Are you aiming for high-light or low-light plants? High-tech (pressurized CO2, fertilizers, etc...) or low-tech?

We'll be able to tell you what to buy if we have that info.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well...they've started advertising it. From Yonp11 thread:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/46861-new-flourite.html, What's the point of paying for advertising for something you can't provide? I would guess within 4 months it should be available. But, you're right...I asked the Seachem rep on APC if and when it was coming out and he said it was coming out but he couldn't tell me when.:rolleyes:

From Betowess' Post (#4) in the thread You linked:

Got tired of waiting to see if it would ever actually materialize... I even wrote to Seachem and they replied it might be a while.
My only point was: Its been "coming out" for a Loooong time now. Advertising or not--I'm not holding my breath on it. I would like to check it out myself. I use regular Flourite and I like it a lot--so the black/dark might turn out to be a nice visual improvement! I hope it does come out Soon! But Soon has already been a long time coming.....:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm sorry! I did hijack this thread. I think that's amazing that you're going to do an African drainage swamp biotope, Featherfin. What are your plans for it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...well, besides turning this into a discussion of Black Flourite (THREADJACKERS!!! Hahahah, just kidding. Guilty of that myself sometimes).

What's your budget? Are you aiming for high-light or low-light plants? High-tech (pressurized CO2, fertilizers, etc...) or low-tech?

We'll be able to tell you what to buy if we have that info.

Medium light! 2.2-3 watts a gallon, thanks to A H Supply. Already have the enclosure box ready. I will probably use fertiziler (bot not root tabs -UGH) and a DIY CO2 reactor.

That's a shame that Seachem chooses to play with our hearts so cruelly. I would love to have Flourite Black sand. I hate that Caribsea stuff - it looks so sharp and caustic.

As for my funds - I'm a self-supporting student/waitress - enough said :thumbsdow But I don't mind spending some savings on this stuff.

My ideal substrate - a nutrient rich dark soil/very, very find gravel or sand that'll hold the plants down and not get nasty overtime, and will be easy to clean.

Thanks for the input, guys!!

Ashley

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'd use AS Africana. Not just because it's "african", but because it's a good looking substrate, and will provide more nutrients than just fluorite.

It would be a good stepping stone to the AS line. It has less nutrients than Amazonia or Malaya, and is denser, cleaner, and easier to work with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.