The Planted Tank Forum banner

What should be my next "trophy fish?

• A "show quality" male Betta

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • A pair of licorice gourami

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A pair of killifish (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Kribensis (are there multiple species?)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Apistos (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I can't speak for the other species in your poll but be aware that betta spledens are unpredictable in their temperament. Some can be timid/shy, some are extremely aggressive and won't share a tank with ANYTHING else (will kill other inhabitants). You also need to keep an eye on the other fish to ensure they don't get fin nippy with the betta's delicate fins. Aaaand bettas may eat shrimp (I have one that won't bother cherry shrimp but another that has killed the big speices-amano and ghost), they are carnivores after all and a cherry shrimp is just a lobster dinner (they just need to catch) to them. So if you get a betta be ready to separate it.. And just because it might get along with other fish/inverts for first days.. week.. months does not mean it won't turn aggressive later on. A member on a better specific form reported having to remove a male betta after it spent a year in the same community because it started hunting the other fish (after a year of peaceful coexistence).

If you want to get a show quality fish first off stay away from the chain pet stores with their cupped bettas. I'd recommend joining a betta specific forum to read up more on the specifics of true show quality bettas so you don't pay a fortune for a sub par fish, there are a lot of details about proepr fin proportion and size, webbing, scales, pectoral fins seem to be most commonly the poor show quality part in many bettas sold online-deformed/uneven/split. I can send you a link to the forum if you'd like.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts