The Planted Tank Forum banner

What should be my next "trophy fish?

• A "show quality" male Betta

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • A pair of licorice gourami

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A pair of killifish (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Kribensis (are there multiple species?)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Apistos (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I currently have a male and two female powder blue gouramis and I love them but just a bit of advice they can tear up the tank when they start to make their nest. Mine would up root plants.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting! Do they dig like cichlids sometimes do?
And are the fry hard to raise?

- Matt M.
They don't dig like cichlids, but they will attempt to tear off pieces of a plant leaf in order to build their bubble nest. I had riccia in my tank and he picked all of it off of my drift wood and used in in his nest. Other plants he would try to pick leaves off of them but sometime he ended up uprooting the plant. Most of the time these plants were newly planted though, so if your tank is well established this may not be a problem.
When it comes to the fry, I have been unable to get mine to breed. they have tried, but I had them in my community tank and anytime the eggs were laid my danios would eat the eggs before he could fertilize them. So I moved them to a 20g long by there selves, and I have been unable to get them to breed in this tank. I am changing the tank soon, because I think they are unhappy with the tank.
To who ever said they are timid. They are but if you give them time to adapt, they will become less timid. I had mine in with danios. Which are really active, after a month or so they were out in the front of the tank. And once the bubble nest was build the male spent most of his time working on that and guarding it. Now I can even hand feed them.
OP, my suggestion would be to try the gourami's with caution. As others have said the other fish will eat your shrimp. Gourami's are no exception, mine would go after my shrimp and cory cats if I put an algae wafer in for the cats. Not to harm them but to eat the wafer.
Another fish to look at is the dwarf neon rainbow. I have never had them but they are similar to the dwarf gourami.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts