The Planted Tank Forum banner

What should be my next "trophy fish?

• A "show quality" male Betta

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • A pair of licorice gourami

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A pair of killifish (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Kribensis (are there multiple species?)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A pair of Apistos (please leave favorite type in comments)

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Per another thread of mine (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/988817-need-fish-suggestions.html) I have recently lost my Betta :frown2:

I am trying to figure out what to get as my next primary "trophy" fish to stick out among my small schooling fish and shrimp... I'd like to take a poll based on what I've narrowed my choices down to. I hope to get plenty of feedback! Also would love to hear your reasons and experiences with these choices. :smile2:

Here is my tank journal for more background as well:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/979337-new-36-gallons-bowfront.html

Thanks!
Matt M.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I currently have a male and two female powder blue gouramis and I love them but just a bit of advice they can tear up the tank when they start to make their nest. Mine would up root plants.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I currently have a male and two female powder blue gouramis and I love them but just a bit of advice they can tear up the tank when they start to make their nest. Mine would up root plants.
Interesting! Do they dig like cichlids sometimes do?
And are the fry hard to raise?

- Matt M.

Hmm so far a large lead for show quality Betta... Any suggestions for a good source for them? Would it most likely be more beneficial to try and find a local breeder rather than LFS or online source?

- Matt M.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Either way you're going to have to be smart about your fish choice because you have shrimp. All of the fish listed will eat shrimp juvies, some may eat adult shrimp.

For an apisto your tank is like an all you can eat buffet.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Avoid licorice gouramies unless you want a tea-colored rainwater tank and to have to feed live foods daily...not to mention all but the tiniest, most docile tank mates will send the tiny, shy Parosphromenus running for cover. Practically all the options you mention will take baby shrimp and very likely adults...and many of the really pretty Aphyosemion type killifish are inveterate fin nippers, so they wouldn't mix with your fish either. Don't know what to suggest that is large, won't eat adult shrimp, AND is not hard to care for (pipefish come closest, but they need several daily feedings of tiny live foods...not easy fish unless you can provide that, at which point they become quite manageable).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting! Do they dig like cichlids sometimes do?
And are the fry hard to raise?

- Matt M.
They don't dig like cichlids, but they will attempt to tear off pieces of a plant leaf in order to build their bubble nest. I had riccia in my tank and he picked all of it off of my drift wood and used in in his nest. Other plants he would try to pick leaves off of them but sometime he ended up uprooting the plant. Most of the time these plants were newly planted though, so if your tank is well established this may not be a problem.
When it comes to the fry, I have been unable to get mine to breed. they have tried, but I had them in my community tank and anytime the eggs were laid my danios would eat the eggs before he could fertilize them. So I moved them to a 20g long by there selves, and I have been unable to get them to breed in this tank. I am changing the tank soon, because I think they are unhappy with the tank.
To who ever said they are timid. They are but if you give them time to adapt, they will become less timid. I had mine in with danios. Which are really active, after a month or so they were out in the front of the tank. And once the bubble nest was build the male spent most of his time working on that and guarding it. Now I can even hand feed them.
OP, my suggestion would be to try the gourami's with caution. As others have said the other fish will eat your shrimp. Gourami's are no exception, mine would go after my shrimp and cory cats if I put an algae wafer in for the cats. Not to harm them but to eat the wafer.
Another fish to look at is the dwarf neon rainbow. I have never had them but they are similar to the dwarf gourami.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out the Betta section in my LFS yesterday and they had different types of bettas... Double tails, some beautiful plakats... And those were just the remaining few from the last shipment! They should have gotten a new shipment today (they get shipments on Tuesday's) so I might swing by at lunch time tomorrow to see what's in stock... I think I'm leaning this direction now. :grin2:

- Matt M.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So quick update... I went into my LFS today... I thought they would have a new shipment of bettas but they did not... However they did have the CPDs I've been waiting on so I had them get 5 of them for me and while waiting on the store employee to finish bagging my CPDs something caught my eye... Some BEAUTIFUL Nothobranchius Palmqvisti Killifish... I decided to take a shot at it and picked up 2... 1 male one and one female...

After a slow acclimation I released them and the CPDs into the tank... The female immediately hid deep in the rotallas, and then the male proceeded to terrorize the tank for the next few hours... Tried to eat my RCS but they were all too quick, and he even tried to pick off a couple of the tiny juvenile CPDs! I was a bit worried, however, as I suspected it may have been just a bit of territorial nipping because he seems to have calmed down some... He still nips and checks stuff out but it really just looks like a territorial thing or curiosity because once he misses he does not pursue at all...

I will keep an eye on him for the next few days and see how this plays out. He really is beautiful but so are my RCS... So id prefer to be able to keep both!

- Matt M.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I can't speak for the other species in your poll but be aware that betta spledens are unpredictable in their temperament. Some can be timid/shy, some are extremely aggressive and won't share a tank with ANYTHING else (will kill other inhabitants). You also need to keep an eye on the other fish to ensure they don't get fin nippy with the betta's delicate fins. Aaaand bettas may eat shrimp (I have one that won't bother cherry shrimp but another that has killed the big speices-amano and ghost), they are carnivores after all and a cherry shrimp is just a lobster dinner (they just need to catch) to them. So if you get a betta be ready to separate it.. And just because it might get along with other fish/inverts for first days.. week.. months does not mean it won't turn aggressive later on. A member on a better specific form reported having to remove a male betta after it spent a year in the same community because it started hunting the other fish (after a year of peaceful coexistence).

If you want to get a show quality fish first off stay away from the chain pet stores with their cupped bettas. I'd recommend joining a betta specific forum to read up more on the specifics of true show quality bettas so you don't pay a fortune for a sub par fish, there are a lot of details about proepr fin proportion and size, webbing, scales, pectoral fins seem to be most commonly the poor show quality part in many bettas sold online-deformed/uneven/split. I can send you a link to the forum if you'd like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.