The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A newcomer to planted aquascapes..

I have an 90 liters/ 21 gallon acrylic tank with dimensions 68 L * 50 H * 45 W dimensions. This came pre-fit with 1x 15W and 1x 10 W T8 lights. Later came to know that this isn't enough for growing medium light plants.

As the water column is over 50 cms high, what lumens / wattage of LEDs do you suggest for this?

I have very little room for extra lighting in the canopy. So my thoughts are about ultra-thin LED strips. I have an online shop selling 23 W power LED strip box.

Will this be sufficient for my tank?

My plants include "Hygrophila corymbosa, Hygrofila difformis, Vallis spiralis / nana, Echinodorus cordifolius, Rotala indica Creen / Red, Crypt green / Red, Cabomba green / Red, Eleocharis parvula, Bacopa monieri,.."

Please help me and give me a rough advice.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It sounds as though you are going by watts per gallon to light your tank. The better measurement to use is PAR--Photosynthetically Active Radiation--as opposed to Watts Per Gallon which does not take into account the depth of a tank. Here is a thread that may help.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR Instead of Watts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

This thread contains some great PAR information on the lights you are currently using as well as the definitions of low, medium, and high lighting. If you are wanting to go LED the PAR information for a wide variety of lighting brands can be found on this site as well.

It would also be helpful to know what spectrum the strips you are looking at are in.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
A reply on here by what/whom I consider to be a very reliable source for this type info
said that LED needs 2 x the amount of Watts that Fluorescent does.
Given that some LED lights are not the best quality...that is a very rough estimate.
Likely you are not going to get med light without removing the hood and replacing it
with up-dated lights. If it is actually a canopy and does have some room in it you might
fit a Finnex RayII into it. Beamsworks also has a fairly high level fixture but it's wider
and may not fit as well. "Build My Light" makes high light LED's that may fit but are not
cheap.
As was stated above the PAR is the better way to find the correct amount of light.
I just noticed where you are. Actually after adding the sub your tank is not that tall.
It may be easier for you to find a "shop light" in T8 with two bulbs.
Two 61 cm bulbs may be enough for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no means of measuring up PAR & PUR. So I'm trying to get a rough estimate.

My T8's are 11000K white. I kept a 15 W LED emergency lamp nearby and my T8 looks pale in comparison to that.

Wondering if 2 such lamps can replace the T8s output...

I have a Philips LED bulb which says 9W / 806 lumens, comparable to a 15 W CFL.

Are CFL and T8 output more or less equal for the same wattage?

Still very confused...

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
I have no means of measuring up PAR & PUR. So I'm trying to get a rough estimate.

My T8's are 11000K white. I kept a 15 W LED emergency lamp nearby and my T8 looks pale in comparison to that.

Wondering if 2 such lamps can replace the T8s output...

I have a Philips LED bulb which says 9W / 806 lumens, comparable to a 15 W CFL.

Are CFL and T8 output more or less equal for the same wattage?

Still very confused...
It is safe to "assume" 1/2W (can be as low as 1/3W) of LED = 1W T8

IF you want to increase your light.. match watt for watt..

some of the increase comes from the LED itself, some from the LED emission geometry.. 120 degree "cone" vs 360 degree "tube"..

20" deep 18" wide 27" long

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is safe to "assume" 1/2W (can be as low as 1/3W) of LED = 1W T8

IF you want to increase your light.. match watt for watt..

some of the increase comes from the LED itself, some from the LED emission geometry.. 120 degree "cone" vs 360 degree "tube"..

20" deep 18" wide 27" long
Well that's good news for me..

Have to buy 2x18 W LED bubs,as soon as possible..

By the way, curious to know, how CFLs do, as compared to the output of T8s?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts