The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do need a good reliable test kit for my PH, KH and GH now that I'm going to be getting a good CO2 system and dosing ferts. Please let me know what you use and how reliable it's been for you?

The test kits that I currently have are, for PH: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, I also have a AP Nitrate test kit. For KH and GH: Jungle Labs and I also have Mardel 5 in 1 test strips. I believe that the PH test kit I have is pretty reliable (or at least I'd like to believe it is) but I'm not sure about the rest, so please, I welcome all suggestions!

Thank you!
Linda

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I use the SP kit for pH, ammonia, KH, GH.
I have the AP version for Nitrite, and Nitrate, but I find them un-reliable (2 tests with different results).

I like the Seachem for Phosphate, and Nitrate. Although at the higher Nitrate (< 10) it gets hard to read.

HTH
Walter

·
Registered
853 Posts
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for PH, and Nitrate. It comes with the ammonia, nitrite, and high nitrate tests, but I dont use them. You dont have ammonia or nitrite in a planted tank. Might be cheaper getting the individual PH an Nitrate test kits. At the LFS, the master kit was the same cost as getting the other two individually.

Nutrafin for GH/KH, an P04.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use Sera test kits for KH, phosphate, and nitrate, they are quite consistent but involve a couple of extra steps. I guess it's that German precision. Lamotte kits are the best but the price makes them impractical for hobbiests.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use Red Sea for PO4. AP for for pH. Hagen for GH and KH. And Salifert for Nitrate. I have found the Sailfert the easiest and most accurate for Nitrate. I have tried Red Sea, AP, Hagen, Tetra for nitrate and the salifert is by far the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts