The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to attempt my first woodworking project ever by trying to build a canopy for my 2.5g aquarium. It will be using "planks" of 1/4" thick red oak, glued together. Same thing with the little mini-stand, except it sits on a 1/2" piece of plywood. All straight cuts everywhere, no 45 degree angles or anything, lol.

Anyway would anyone care to look at it and answer a few questions?

Here's a link to the model at google 3d warehouse.

Questions:

What kind of hinges can I use on the hood that can be installed from underneath, so they are invisible from the top? Or will I have to install the hinges on the top of the canopy?

I'll be using right angle clamps to hold things together while glueing, but are there any other tools you might recommend I use to make this simpler?

What's the best kind of wood glue to use?

Is there anything about the design (other than its childlike simplicity) that seems wrong in any way?

Thanks.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm going to attempt my first woodworking project ever by trying to build a canopy for my 2.5g aquarium. It will be using "planks" of 1/4" thick red oak, glued together. Same thing with the little mini-stand, except it sits on a 1/2" piece of plywood. All straight cuts everywhere, no 45 degree angles or anything, lol.

Anyway would anyone care to look at it and answer a few questions?

Here's a link to the model at google 3d warehouse.

Questions:

What kind of hinges can I use on the hood that can be installed from underneath, so they are invisible from the top? Or will I have to install the hinges on the top of the canopy?

I would say you could use a piano hinge and the only thing that would be seen is the part that has the pin going thru it, both flat pieces would be on the inside edge of the boards. Hope this makes sense.

I'll be using right angle clamps to hold things together while glueing, but are there any other tools you might recommend I use to make this simpler?

Not that I can think of.

What's the best kind of wood glue to use?

I would use Gorilla Glue .

Is there anything about the design (other than its childlike simplicity) that seems wrong in any way?

I like it but you might want to consider hinging the front also but thats JMO.

Thanks.

:biggrin:
My thoughts in red

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The only type of hinge that would be invisible would be a European cabinet hinge. There are lots of small low visibility hinges but I suggest you just use some small solid brass hinges in a color that blends with your finish.

Right angle clamps are difficult to use properly and in my experience won't hold like you think they will on this project. Since you plan on butt joints a couple of standard pipe clamps will work just fine. Or, finishing nails into pre-drilled holes. A couple of strap clamps would work too. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.

As to glue, any water resistant glue such as Tite-Bond III will be fine. Gorilla glue is great if you know how to use it properly. Otherwise there will be poly foam on the outside of your project that will be difficult to clean up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just used European hinges for the first time and I can say unequivocally that they rock. I'll also second the notion that you need to be VERY careful with Gorilla glue and apply it very sparingly, or else you'll make a terrible mess that is nigh-impossible to clean up.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks for the suggestions guys. As far as the right angles go, I didn't realize that since I was using a butt-joint design I could get away with using standard clamps. I now can visualize that! I agree about keeping it simple.

About the glue, since the surfaces I'll be gluing are a mere 1/4" thick, should I steer clear of the Gorilla Glue since it expands? Seems like I'll be better off with something that uses a very narrow applicator.

European hinges huh? I'm off to look those up now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.