The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of fish this is...what it's called. It's 2.5-3" long.

Also, does it eat shrimp and/or plants? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the plant is plastic. :hihi: The fish is in my husbands 125g cichlid tank and I'm thinking about moving it over to my planted tank... just wanted to know if it will eat or bother my shrimp or eat my plants. I'm also wanting to know if it will help with my algae problem.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
:eek: :hihi: that fishes seems good for planted tank but im not sure if its a CAE they are not good and territory and will not eat aglae

if its a SAE most people have them in their planted for algae control

·
Registered
400 Posts
While it is small it would be fine in there, just watch it when it starts to get bigger, if it gets boisterous....BAck in with the cichlids!

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is not a CAE and it is not even a SAE. That is a Thai Flying Fox. The silverstripe above the black stripe down the side to go along with the fact that the black stripe ends at the base of the caudal fin is a dead give away. Chinese algae eaters look nothing like a SAE or a Flying fox. Here is a Chinsese algae eater - Gyrinocheilus aymonieri: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12298

Here is Crossocheilus siamensis - Siamese Algae Eater: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=50435

And here is Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus - Flying Fox: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=10832

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I think that it's actually Garra cambodgiensis. They look very similar to flying foxes but the mouth is a bit different.
Just my thoughts
Huy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. After examining the pictures I've come to the conclusion that it looks the most similar to the Garra cambodgiensis. I've had this fish for probably 4 years and it seems to have reached its maximum size of 2.5-3". Do you think it is safe to put it in with shrimp, some of which are 3/4" long?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It looks like either an SAE or a false SAE, like a flying fox. The fins look a little yellowish and the body looks more scaley, as opposed to smooth. I also don't see the the black horizontal line extending to the tip of the tail. My guess is that this is a false SAE. I used to have about four that looked like that and they pretty much stopped eating algae and started poking at my plants. I'm not sure if they were eating them or just damaging them, but the plants were dying. They also the majority of the last batch of RCS that I bought. This time, there are no fish with the shrimp at all....

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not a Flying Fox as they have black in the dorsal fin and other fins. It's a False siamensis or Garra taeniata, aka 'Stone lapping fish'. See this link.
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
I have have one of these and it is a good eater of green algae but little else in the algae family.

Does it have red lips?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a little bit of orange on it's lips. From everything I've heard, no matter what kind of fish it is, I think we're gonna leave it in with the cichlids. :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'd say it's a SAE or look alike, or a pingi pingi thing.(garra pingi pingi i think)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Definetaly Garra cambodgiensis, they won't bother shrimp or plants.

They are only aggressive towards members off their own species, or similar looking species such as SAE's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
gara gara pingi is dark blackish with red fins. not an SAE , nor a flying fox , a flying fox ( which ide call plant safe i have 2 monsters in my planted) is more blackish than n e thing. this does have the shape of a gara species.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had this same fish in my 29g for over a year. It grew quite large and was only agressive to larger fish. No problems with it eating shrimp. Pretty fish with the orangish lips, but eventually got too big for my tastes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is not a Garra cambodgiensis; it is a Garra taeniata as it has a light yellowish stripe above the black band and the cambodgienisi doesn't.

I used to have two and they always got along and they also get along with the SAE in my tank. They did not do well with a Red tailed Black Shark. Actually it was the RTBS that was the aggressor. It is a good grazer for green algae.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts