The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold two of these as "butterfly pleco", which it looked a bit like when pale in the bag. However, upon getting them acclimated to the tank, I think the identification is incorrect. I've come up with "leopard pleco" (L114) as the best match I can find on Planet Catfish. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
Click the image for a larger version.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
It looks like a "gibby" to me, L83. The L114 could be a possibility too, but it's hard to say without seeing more of the tail/dorsal from the side. Gibbys are very common (and commonly incorrectly sold as hypostomus plecostomus) so I hope you didn't pay a lot for it. Gibbys also get large (as do L114's) so hopefully you have a large tank for it to grow into.

My 13 year old common is about to have his fourth tank upgrade and will soon be swimming in his 125 gallon. If you keep them long enough, they do develop personalities and have specific likes and dislikes for food. Feed your new pleco zucchini (skin on), and some sort of protein-rich pellets and you will have a very nice pleco for many years.

I'll let you have a try at this scientific name (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, L83) http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=148

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tail matches L83 (wedge, bottom longer than top) much more than L114. I paid $7 for the pair, and got a great deal on some other stuff at the same time, so I'm not too worried. Currently they are in a 75 gallon community tank. When they outgrow it, or start causing problems for the plants I'll probably trade them off to a fish store, so hopefully that'll take a while. Right now they seem to be enjoying the algae and driftwood, but I have pleco wafers as well. I'll try adding some zucchini as well and see how that goes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awesome pleco. I really am a huge fan. Congrats. Wish I could help more. Just thought I'd give u a shout out

·
Registered
200 Posts
It should take them quite a while to outgrow that 75 gallon (especially if they are small now). $7/two isn't a bad price!

Our plecos really like brine shrimp pellets (we get OmegaOne pellets). A pleco expert spoke at my local aquarium society last month and he feeds raw gulf shrimp to his plecos. Mine will nibble on the shrimp but much prefer zucchini or plain button mushrooms.

Good luck with your new additions! I love gibbys, they're so impressive when they get large!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Depending on how you feed it but a well fed gib will get 20" and will outgrow a 75g in a year or so. I had one in my 55g that grew from 2" to 9" in one year. Pooped everywhere, cool fish though, very friendly.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
hahaha sounds sorta like my dog
Grew from 20 to 90lbs in one year. Pooped everywhere, cool dog though, very friendly.

sorry its late, I laughed reading the last post thinking this and posted it being wrong anyway

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
the eyes really make me think its a sailfin pleco as it reminds me of the umbrella corpiration logo look at them and you will see what im saying. id say for sure its not a L114 or L83. google a sailfin pleco and look at just the eyes its a dead give away and let us know if thats what u have..

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the eyes really make me think its a sailfin pleco as it reminds me of the umbrella corpiration logo look at them and you will see what im saying. id say for sure its not a L114 or L83. google a sailfin pleco and look at just the eyes its a dead give away and let us know if thats what u have..
From what I can tell, "Sailfin pleco" is one of the names for L83, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=148

1 - 9 of 9 Posts