The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what is this algae?

As some may remember I have battled with my 75g tank for a long time. Then one day I decided to downsize my fishtanks. So in doing so I was going to just STOP dealing with it so much. I fed once or twice a day. And let the CO2 run out and stopped using it. And stopped the ferts. (I used wet seachem) The light stayed the same. Well the plants didn't die out completely. I guess some of the tougher plants survived. Lost all the glosso, and all the pretty red in the back (I can't remember?) I have taken out a lot of the swords...and just kind of checked on it from time to time. Well now I'm in that room a lot. I never did loose any fish, and I still have two CO2 bottles that I can fill up and use again.
The problem is that I apparently never got it right the first time. And Now I want to try and get it back. When the plants were growing great I was so happy with the tank...but I could never view it, I was never in that room. Now I spend a great deal of time and love to see my cardinals and rummys, and now I have around 10 adults mollies and 100+ molly fry. And I should be getting 4 discus this week. I really want to get all my tank back...but I need your help.
Call me stupid but I can only re-read so much before I just have to ASK/BEG for someone to spell it out for me. I can (and I guess will) order whtever you all recommend from greg watson, but again SPELL IT OUT. I freely admit that I must have never done the planted tank thing right from the start...casue this tank has been more difficult than ANY reef tank I have ever had. And you all talk about it like it's so EASY.
So here are some pics of what I HAD and some close ups of the algae in the tank now. I think that the mollies are keeping hte algae mowed at a short length...but it's never GONE like it once was. So If I have to go to petsmart and buy all new plants then fine...anything to get rid of it. But I still have algae on the wood...and though it looks really nice (and I like it there) I think I want to slove it once and for all and keep it away. Also anyone know of a good ground cover, my old glosso is long gone, and though it's my favorite...and I want it back...so many people tell me it's the hardest to keep...and I have to agree with most.

Light: 520W dual orbit extreme...less than 12 hours light
no ferts
no CO2
I feed twice a day
UV filter on 24/7
two XP3 filters (one with UV attached, one with the CO2 reactor attached)

so what is this stuff...and how can I get my tank back to its lush beauty?

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
520W dual orbit extreme...less than 12 hours light?

Almost 7wpg seems like a lot of light with no room for dosing or CO2 errors. half of that would be enough to grow almost anything in a 75gal. Also 9 hours of lights seems to work well for me. Follow the EI dosing thread dosing N, P, K, and micros. 30+ppm CO2 seems to work well for me also. Weekly water changes to reset. It appears you are going to have to manual remove the amount of algae you have in that tank.

I also would advise to use the swap and shop to get your plants to redo this tank. The quality and quanity will be better IMHO than petsmart.

BTW the algae on the wood does look pretty cool.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...see this is what I got last time. No one really answered my questions...they would just point elsewhere. I have read Rex's pages back and forth...some of it helps, some of it is useless to me.

What I was trying to say is that I can start up the Co2 again..and I can even start dosing again. But all that was EXTREMELY difficult to get "precise" last time. The tank tended to do better when I did the opposite from what was advised. I just don't kow why my tank seems so backwards. Again I find it ironic that asside from the curent algae (still not identified) the tank is easier to keep up without any CO2 Or ferts.
I don't know, maybe the tank is a complete loss. I just hate to toss out all the fish and equipment that I have had to put into it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Lower your light. Get on a dosing schedual, CO2, micro's and macro's. What you have there is whay I call fuzz algae. I got rid of it by lowering my lights and cutting my photo period to 8hrs from 12hrs. I then bumped up the output of my CO2 and worked on a better fert regime, which consisted of cutting out half of the phosphate. THis seems to get rid of that algae you have.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It is actually kind of pretty....
but as all have stated...lower those lights....it is way too much for no ferts and Co2. All you are doing is growing algae :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok I have a correction. the lights (after going to change them) are actually only on for 8 hours already. One is set from 12:00 to 6:00 and the other timer is set from 1:00 to 6:00 and there is a stagger between them for like 30min at the most. (read that as the second light turns off roughly 30 min after the first one, even though they are set to those times)

So will adding CO2 back in the regimine as well as dosing my ferts again, clear this up...or would it be best to buy new plants. Again I can live with the stuff on the wood. It's the algae that's choking my plants that I'm pissed off at. Also I don't want to hurt my fish...so will this be a safe Idea. Or should I add more plants before upping the CO2. I'd hate to suffocate them. Try to remember that I have like 100+ molly fry in the tank right now. so there is a lot of resperation going on.

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts