The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I need help with finding out excatly what size "ports" my regulator has so I can replace the needle valve for a far better new one...

Im not finding a clear answer on my own of yet...

I currently have a Victor SR5B-320 MEDALISTREGULATOR ( Part Number: 0780-2544 )

Please either direct me to some page specs or just provide me the correct answer.

So far im thinking its 13mm ? But Im not 100% sure...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I'm sure that is the correct answer but there are also easy ways to assure yourself that parts you order will fit. Since there are lots of things involved in getting the correct fitting, I like to see them fit before I order. There are lots of small things on other fittings that a simple look over may miss. Threads per inch, left or right hand threads, style/type of fitting , can all get pretty complicated so I go for trying it at the local hardware.
You don't have to find the exact part that you want. If a 1/4 inch NPT plug will fit, any 1/4" NPT of the same will fit.
I do lots of small plumbing on small parts and believe me, trying it will save you lots of going back for the correct one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure that is the correct answer but there are also easy ways to assure yourself that parts you order will fit. Since there are lots of things involved in getting the correct fitting, I like to see them fit before I order. There are lots of small things on other fittings that a simple look over may miss. Threads per inch, left or right hand threads, style/type of fitting , can all get pretty complicated so I go for trying it at the local hardware.
You don't have to find the exact part that you want. If a 1/4 inch NPT plug will fit, any 1/4" NPT of the same will fit.
I do lots of small plumbing on small parts and believe me, trying it will save you lots of going back for the correct one.
Great advise and I will do excatly as you suggested.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok So now that I can get a 1/4NPT needle valve both female ends, so it connects to the male part of the regulator. What parts do I need to stop the gas from comming out the other end of the needle valve, dont I need a plug of some type? The only way I see around this is to get a 90° angle needle valve? Yes?

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Ok So now that I can get a 1/4NPT needle valve both female ends, so it connects to the male part of the regulator. What parts do I need to stop the gas from comming out the other end of the needle valve, dont I need a plug of some type? The only way I see around this is to get a 90° angle needle valve? Yes?
Why would you want the gas to stop coming out from the needle valve? You want to have some kind of adapter (a hose barb, for example) that will allow you to hook up airline tubing to your needle valve.

The airline tubing then goes to your aquarium via a diffuser, reactor, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you want the gas to stop coming out from the needle valve? You want to have some kind of adapter (a hose barb, for example) that will allow you to hook up airline tubing to your needle valve.

The airline tubing then goes to your aquarium via a diffuser, reactor, etc.
Right after I posted this, I thought why the heck did I write this lol
Yes, your right I require a part that allows c02 air line to be used...

Does anything think that $60 is nuts to spend on a 1/4 NPT needle valve rated for 6000psi madr of 316SS

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Does anything think that $60 is nuts to spend on a 1/4 NPT needle valve rated for 6000psi madr of 316SS
No, that is about the going rate. There are more expensive ones out there ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts