The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my 2 Ray 2's with one of the new Kessil a150we's. I still have quite a hair algae problem and my glosso is a mess. What kind of plants do you think I should add? Right now I have L. Palustris in front of the L.Cuba, and A. Reineckii. with a glosso carpet that goes around to the right side of tank. My first true planted tank so I am still in the learning phase. My photoperiod is 7h's and use EI dosing with dry ferts...GLA primo regulator/atomic inline.

I put a few extremely novice pics and video so you can get a good look at the current issues. Any help with additional plant selection and modification are extremely welcome.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would guess that since it has the clamp for the edge of the tank it's made for aquariums but what specs can you tell me about that light ?
Does the maker supply a PAR chart/w it or on-line ?
Cube tanks have less floor space than other tanks so less plants also. Therefor the
plant mass is low for regular EI ferts. How many BPS is the injected CO2 ?
Brown algae is a common symptom in a new tank that will go away by it's self.
The close picture is too grainy to see well enough to tell much.
It's more or less necessary to have the info that goes/w the questions in here to give any suggestions for this other than to say you might eliminate one dosing on the EI.
Light/ferts/CO2 need to be balanced to work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would guess that since it has the clamp for the edge of the tank it's made for aquariums but what specs can you tell me about that light ?
Does the maker supply a PAR chart/w it or on-line ?
Cube tanks have less floor space than other tanks so less plants also. Therefor the
plant mass is low for regular EI ferts. How many BPS is the injected CO2 ?
Brown algae is a common symptom in a new tank that will go away by it's self.
The close picture is too grainy to see well enough to tell much.
It's more or less necessary to have the info that goes/w the questions in here to give any suggestions for this other than to say you might eliminate one dosing on the EI.
Light/ferts/CO2 need to be balanced to work.
Basically I do not know the exact par data for the Kessil Amazon Sun...I do know this is the new E series that just came out and is supposedly 15% brighter than the original. I used to use them on my reefs. The Kessil spreads much better for the cube than one Ray 2...and 2 Ray 2's were on the tank for a month and were way too much light vs. spread. As far as bps around 3bps my drop checker is yellow tinge lime green, but my fish aren't stressed. I dose at ~ 2/3 of the EI dosing for the 20-40 gallon bracket.

Two things with the photos. First the CO2 mist is creating some noise in the pictures. Secondly it is just a point and shoot smart phone. The first picture is actually a video it is teri-bad, but the best I can do with the HTC.

I borrowed this from another site regarding the Kessil
Kessil A150W Amazon Sun
PAR Data(Source 1, Source 2) PAR vs. Distance from source
56 PAR @ 18"
42 PAR @ 21"
34 PAR @ 24"
Notes: Seem to be about perfect for getting medium light to most medium sized aquariums. Great coverage for such a small light. Credit for PAR data goes to propsi.

As far as how much and where the fall off is with the PAR idk...what I do know is that the spread is nice. Pretty popular light in California with hobbyists/reefers...just a little pricey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.