The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of these plants when I first started my tank. They're fast growing. I just can't quite find a plant ID that I'm comfortable with. If anyone can help me on this ID, I'd really appreciate it... Thanks.

Same plant in all the red borders...

·
Registered
254 Posts
It looks like pogostemon stellata to me, but that could be wrong since I am not very good with plant identification. It looks really nice though, along with everything else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's one that I have on my short list. I'm going to have to post some better pictures. The leaves on the lower stem are a bit like oak leaves and as you go up they get thinner and the top looks like a Spyder Mum. The stem is red and the leaf tips and very top are red/purple. As I prune them, they come back with multiple new growths off the cut points. The cut off pieces can be pushed into the sunstrate to start a new "plant". Really great for filling in holes quickly...

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Looks more like Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' to me... might even be the 'Araguaia' variant. A closer pic would help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few -

Lower stem

They really are quite pretty plants...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe you got it, Az! Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has definitely taken over in the tank. The site's plant guide says it has to be pruned weekly. That is quite the fact! I just clipped two big sections out and put them in my 5 gal. At this point, I have no wasted clippings! LOL! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I may have been wrong about the ID, but that plant has some really interesting looking leaves. Now that's another plant to add to my list lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts