The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon with multiple plants and I keep my light on at night for 10 hours till morning and I think it's stressing my fishes out. So for photosynthesis should the light be on daytime ex:12pm-9pm are ok? Or it has to be on a certain time? Thanks for the help in advance

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
You leave your lights on at night, when you're sleeping? When you're not looking at your tank at all?? weird.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's for my plants. If not my option would be leaving it on daytime? And would a zoo med full spectrum 15w would be enough for my babytear? I have DIY co2 and fertilizer and fluorite substrate!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Theres this thing called day time and night time. Things sleep at night time, including plants need a break

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
It's for my plants. If not my option would be leaving it on daytime? And would a zoo med full spectrum 15w would be enough for my babytear? I have DIY co2 and fertilizer and fluorite substrate!

Well, obviously? Why wouldn't you have the lights on during the day and off at night?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because I'm at work mostly in the daytime. So I'm gonna buy the timer setting at 2pm to 10pm. Would that be enough for my foreground and other plants. So I just started this about 2 week ago. Lots of noobie's questions

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This isn't in a window, is it? That could change things...

Also it's worth pointing out: For plants, the circadian rhythm is a little different. It's not as vital. For dry start, I have my lights going 24/7. The plants had no seeable ill effects, really. The only reason why people turn off their lights is because many people keep fish and dislike algae farming. (i.e. in water, the balance is much more shaky)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
plant photosynthesis has light-reactions and dark-reactions. but the dark-reactions dont actually happen in the dark, that is a misconception. they are light-independent, and can happen in either light or darkness. they, however, require the products of the light-reactions, so they usually happen during the day period as well. the exception is in succulents, which have their reactions occur in the dark to reduce photorespiration (the opposite of photosynthesis).
most plants will grow faster the longer the photoperiod they are given. there is, however, a diminishing return (algae is not subject to this diminishing return). after a certain point, its not worth the electricity it takes, unless its a very valuable plant. one valuable plant is canibis. weed farmers will leave their lights on 24/7 while the plant is in the vegetative growth phase, and only give it night cycles to induce flowering.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
plant photosynthesis has light-reactions and dark-reactions. but the dark-reactions dont actually happen in the dark, that is a misconception. they are light-independent, and can happen in either light or darkness. they, however, require the products of the light-reactions, so they usually happen during the day period as well. the exception is in succulents, which have their reactions occur in the dark to reduce photorespiration (the opposite of photosynthesis).
most plants will grow faster the longer the photoperiod they are given. there is, however, a diminishing return (algae is not subject to this diminishing return). after a certain point, its not worth the electricity it takes, unless its a very valuable plant. one valuable plant is canibis. weed farmers will leave their lights on 24/7 while the plant is in the vegetative growth phase, and only give it night cycles to induce flowering.
mmm...weed. one plant that would most surely look awesome in an aquarium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts