The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I picked up a new 30 gallon tank and I'm going to be moving all my plants from my exsisting tank to the new one. I also have fish in the tank as well so I don't want something that's going to change my parameters too much. I was going to take the exsisting substrate which is sand and move it over. It's been up and running for a little over a year now. Just Crypts and Jungle val. I use a lot of root tabs and also liquid ferts and have had success. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Blasting sand or Pool Filter sand (dark or light coloured budget options)

Aquarium specific sand (any colour you want but a little more pricey)

Play sand, super cheap, tan / brown colour, but fairly dirty and requires lots of rinsing. It's also a little lighter than the others and would get moved around more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so you're suggesting I get new substrate altogether? Is there a good reason I can't just use what I already have? I'm actually going from a larger tank to a bit smaller so I'll have more than enough. I wanted to see if it was worth trying something different altogether but something safe for my fish. Thanks

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks, so you're suggesting I get new substrate altogether? Is there a good reason I can't just use what I already have? I'm actually going from a larger tank to a bit smaller so I'll have more than enough. I wanted to see if it was worth trying something different altogether but something safe for my fish. Thanks
If you're happy with what you have, re-use it. No issues.

I would personally give it a good vacuum and rinse before re-using it. Make sure to have a decent amount of established bio-media in the filter(s) for this though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Yes I have 2 Eheim 2215 canister filters that have media over 5 years old.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Protip: To rinse substrate, put it in an old pillowcase, stick a hose in it and rinse it till the water runs clear. Much faster and easier than dumping out a bucket.

You might not want to do this if you're planning on reusing your old substrate, though. You'll likely rinse off all the beneficial bacteria. If you want it to look clean, you could rinse half of it and put the dirty stuff underneath. Or just top it all with new substrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts