The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Looks nice overall. If it was me I'd add some red plants for some color and take out the sword and crypt. The sword and crypt is a bit big for a 12x12x12 tank. it makes your tank look smaller. Maybe replace those with some red stems in the back. You can also consider tying some mini Xmas moss on the wood...to make it look more foresty..

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I like it too. Is that riccia tied down and floating? Pretty!

I like the crypts but the sword looks awkward and cramped in this small tank. I got rid of swords in my 100 gallon tank because they were cramped for space!

Since the photos are so tightly framed I am not sure about composition and all that though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
OK, here's what I thought when I looked for 2 minutes.

1. That driftwood is so tiny and twiggy it is dwarfed by your huge plants. Remove it, and consider larger pieces, or rocks, or nothing at all.

2. The sword makes the tank look small. You want big tanks to look big. Find it a new home - it'll need one anyways in a few months if it keeps growing.

3. Your crypts look great, but they contrast poorly with the Riccia - the crypts are dark and Riccia is, well, fluffy. In the long term, I would go with either of the two and discard the other, depending on the look you want.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Looks nice overall. If it was me I'd add some red plants for some color and take out the sword and crypt. The sword and crypt is a bit big for a 12x12x12 tank. it makes your tank look smaller. Maybe replace those with some red stems in the back. You can also consider tying some mini Xmas moss on the wood...to make it look more foresty..
I second this, some very high red stem would be awesome, even a small rosette, give rotala sp butterfly or mini butterfly a try, they are both very very red in good lighting and co2

besides adding red i like it, could be because i am simple or that I just love fish and green! =p no just kidding I like your scape, see if you can fit a red stem in there =p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the same about the crypts and sword. Really, the sword was just there to fill up space (and it was free). Hopefully I will have some L. repens and some Rotala sp. 'butterfly' to replace them with in the next week or so. Yes, there is riccia floating and tied down, the main purpose was to make more riccia stones because the stuff on top traps a lot of CO2 and grows really fast for me. I think that the front piece of driftwood in there looks adequate for this tank when it isn't being dwarfed by the sword behind it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.