The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm making a 5 gallon planted tank to put in the basement lounge room out of some equipment I had just laying around. Tell me if you think this is sufficient enough for my idea! I was thinking the Iwagumi, I believe its called, style setup. I just want a nice hairgrass carpet with a few rocks sticking out.

Here is the plan

typical 5 gallon glass aquarium

I have a 2x9 watt 6,700k coralife freshwater light (10 hour timer) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+11382&pcatid=11382

I will get that new black substrate from GLA as soon as its available.

Average whisper HOB filter with carbon bag and sponge over intake pipe.

Fish will be 7 Formosa and MAYBE some pygmy corydoras.

What I am wondering is if the lighting is sufficient for a hairgrass carpet? I have no experience with hairgrass so this will be an experiment for me aswell. Or if there is a better suited carpet plant for this setup? I really like the hairgrass look though. The idea of a moss wall came to mind to for a natural looking background. I dunno, suggestions are more than welcome. Let me know thanks!

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
18 watts should be enough to grow dwarf hair grass, DHG likes to grow under any condition for me really.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To Nismo Tetra:

Did you add a glass top to use the lights from Dr F&S, as instructed? Is it hinged for feeding?

I have an Aqua Tech from Walmart and am using the included plastic hinged hood with a different bulb. I would like to upgrade to what you are using, but don't know how to handle to glass top with feeding.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
18W is gonna be just over 3W per G which is cool for hairgrass, as far as moss that should also be fine. I would question that filter for aestetic reasons though, kinda ugly hangin in the tank...

F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts