The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first time setting up a co2 system. I'm tired of diy co2, my budget is tight right now, so i want to stay at low cost. I am looking at
Regulator
NO EBA LINKS ALLOWED
co2 tank
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...CO2-Tanks-Cylinders/5-lb-Aluminum-CO2-bottle/

i have a bubble counter, diffuser, co2 checker already, i will turn off co2 at night, so i do not want to get a solenoid (staying cheap). Guys anything else do i need? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That isn't the correct gas tank connector for CO2, despite what the ad says.
CO2 tanks have male threads. The regulator will have female CGA-320 fitting.
You are also going to need a needle valve and unless you turn it on and off manually, a solenoid.

I don't know anything about this, other than they are a forum supporter, but here except for a tank, is a complete hardware setup for $81.95.
http://www.aquabuys.com/page/aqb/PROD/mi_co2_regulator

As for the tank, Aluminum is nice but you pay a premium for it. With shipping and handling, then filling (approx $10.00) after you get it, the tank you listed isn't going to be a budget tank. Call local welding, beverage suppliers, and fire extinguisher places and see what they want for a filled tank. Also, ask the beverage suppliers how much a dual guage single stage regulator will cost. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Presuming the solution is correct, the drop checker looks like a deal, but you could make your own and save a bit.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That is a good regulator, with one problem - the outlet pressure gage is intended for welding applications, where the pressure is shown as a gas flow rate, not a pressure. Unless you have some idea what 10 L/min translates to as a pressure it will be hard to use this. New regulators can be purchased for about $40, so this isn't the "top of the line".

I wouldn't even consider a Milwaukee regulator assembly, even with its low cost, but others have found them usable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
guys i appreciated all your helps, can someone help me pick a decent regulator from http://www.aquariumplants.com i am going to order a 5lb co2 tank from there, so i might as well get a regulator, it doesn't not have to have a solenoid, i will turn off co2 at night manually :)
There really isn't that wide of a choice in terms of regulators at aquariumplants.com.

It may be better to try to look for it from a different source. That goes for the 5 lb CO2 tank as well. 90 USD is quite a premium to pay for a filled CO2 tank.

Finally, if you are not going to use a solenoid, it is better to just leave your CO2 running all the time rather than turning it off at night. That way, you will not forget about turning on/off the gas. In addition, you will not have to worry about fiddling with the needle valve every time as well.

unfortunately, it doesn't have a pic of the regulator, do you mind sharing a pic with me thanks!!
Are you sure you cannot see the regulator? I can see it fine.

Here is a direct link to the image.

http://www.micromatic.com/images/3/300x300/642.jpg

Also, you may want to remove the eBay links in your post, as I believe they are no longer allowed on the forums.

·
Registered
336 Posts
unfortunately, it doesn't have a pic of the regulator, do you mind sharing a pic with me thanks!!

Hmmmm, when I click the link, I see a pic. The regulator cost $60.80 delivered. Came in 2 days.

You will have to remove the barb on the bottom and replace it with a 1/4" NPT-M to 1/8" NPT-M adapter ($1.49 at local hardware.)

I bought my tank from aquariumplants for $67.29 delivered). Got it filled at Airgas for $6.58 (my nephew works for them).

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Steel tanks are heavier than aluminum tanks and often don't look aesthetically as pleasing. However, when you take your tank in for refills, some places do a straight refill while others will do a swap for you. If you have an aluminum tank and go to a swap shop, they will take your aluminum tank and (likely) give you a steel one in return (i.e. not the way to go).

Regarding the regulator that you have linked to, I believe it is the Milwaukee MA957 that is often seen. While it is indeed cheap, some people have not had good experiences with the steadiness of the needle valve. That is not to say that others have not had good experiences with this regulator either, but...

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you get the Micro-Matic regulator, you will have to replace the bottom fitting with an adapter to convert it to 1/8" NPT. You will also need a 1/8" ell and a few other fittings to put a system together. Take all the parts you have with you to you local hardware and get what is needed. (Then try to explain to them what you are doing....:red_mouth:red_mouth.)

I've posted an earlier thread about a good deal on ebay for a needle valve.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
but i don't know where to get the right needle 1/4" NPT-M to 1/8" NPT-M. What regulator are you guys using? some links would be helpful :)
As mentioned, you will need to first get a converter from 1/4" NPT to 1/8" NPT. Then, you will need a needle valve.

The adapter can be found at your local hardware store in the plumbing section for a dollar or two.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
does homedepot carry this stuff? if not i have to head to swagelok, little bit of driving, but it is fine with me.
It depends what you are looking for. If you are only looking for 1/4" to 1/8" adapters, or 1/4" to hose barb (various sizes such as 5/8", 3/16", etc), then Home Depot will have them.

If you are looking specifically for the Swagelok tubing adapters, then you will have to go to Swagelok or an authorized Swagelok dealer to get them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
does homedepot carry this stuff? if not i have to head to swagelok, little bit of driving, but it is fine with me.
If you need the Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Tube Adapter, B-4-TA-1-2, call the dealer and see if they will mail them to you. These will not be found at HD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.