The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - so most of my equipment has been ordered.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a glass top.
I have a pressurized Co2 system - The Milwaukee one.
I also happen to own a Eheim Wet/Dry 2227 which I do plan to use. (I know this is not the best filter to use... but i am going to be using it anyway unless you can lend me $150-200 for a better choice!)
Lighting is t5ho lights - 78 watts worth.

My question is I have yet to decide on how to best spend my money to difuse the CO2 into the tank.

Here are my thoughts... wondering which is the best move...
1.I am thinking of adding the Co2 differently to the breather tube of the Eheim

2. Should I just call Orlando and get a glass diffuser?

3. Calling Rex Grigg and buying a reactor.

4. Someone is willing to sell my an Aquamedia 1000 for $50. too big for a 40 gallon?

5. There is that small cheap $10 inline diffuser.

Which would you pick 1-5 or is there a better choice for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
My tank is smaller than yours (26 gal.) but I've been really happy with the DIY diffuser made from the Hagen Elite Mini in-tank filter. There's a thread on doing this (the OP was Niko or Milalic, I think) somewhere. It's cheap (about eight bucks), small, black and easy to hide, low maintenance, and works great.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am just experimenting with the "connect to the breather tube of the Eheim." I also have the 2227, which I got a pretty good deal on Ebay. I've disable the float mechanism so that it no acts as a Wet Dry Filter. Also, I'm planning on using DIY CO2 (at least for now).

Have you found and/or read this thread?

Eheim 2227 and CO2 injection

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Twimbo - yes I have read that thread and all of the related ones. I am really thinking this is the direction I am heading in. I just do not see detailed step by step directions for this... and i am super confused by it.

How is your experimentation going?

·
Registered
313 Posts
My tank is smaller than yours (26 gal.) but I've been really happy with the DIY diffuser made from the Hagen Elite Mini in-tank filter. There's a thread on doing this (the OP was Niko or Milalic, I think) somewhere. It's cheap (about eight bucks), small, black and easy to hide, low maintenance, and works great.

I've been experimenting with this method in a 75gal for the last week. It is easily one of the best methods for CO2 distribution, but if you dont like the micro-bubbles look, a reactor would probably suit you better. Which again is easily constructed for less than $20 from the parts at Lowes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recently bought a boyu inline diffuser on ebay (for about $5 +SH) and could not be more happy with it. It easily reaches the necessary CO2 level which my $32 glass diffuser did not. I have it on the intake of my filter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Twimbo - yes I have read that thread and all of the related ones. I am really thinking this is the direction I am heading in. I just do not see detailed step by step directions for this... and i am super confused by it.

How is your experimentation going?
Too early to tell. Its all hooked up, but I've yet to confirm that I'm getting any CO2 into the water column. I really just got it going today and am using a DIY system. I'm not sure if its producing enough CO2 to make a difference. I may set up another bottle of the yeast mixture tomorrow and see if that puts me over the edge. In theory, others have made this work, so I should be able to.

If you have any questions about HOW to make the changes to the Eheim, let me know. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what I did, that might help you. Again, I got it set up, but can't say for sure if its working.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you have any questions about HOW to make the changes to the Eheim, let me know. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what I did, that might help you. Again, I got it set up, but can't say for sure if its working.
I posted my photos in This Thread. I'm hoping that it will get more attention there, because that thread is all about using the Eheim 2227 for CO2 injection.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just switched to the Hagen Mini Elite method and it is awesome. So easy to setup and works very well... and CHEAP. I was sick of fighting with my inline reactor (limited cabinet space), so this is the perfect alternative.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK, I've given up on using the "breather tube" for the Eheim 2227 and am going with the Hagen Elite Mini method. However, I'm using the Fluval 1 Plus, which costs a bit more but works under the same principle.

After hours of working with my Eheim to directly infuse the CO2 into the filter, I spent about 15 minutes making modifcations to my Fluval filter, which is now delivering a stream of CO2 into my tank.

My drop checker is already green, after a few hours, and the pH in my tank has dropped from 8.0 to almost 7.0.

I am estatic!:bounce:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts