The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Very difficult to spot the problem from the picture. There seems to be a spot of different color on the fish but that might also be normal on some fish. Perhaps some more info on what type fish, how it is acting and what you see might get better response?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it seems like it might be anchor worm i just looked up google images.. the fish is a guppy and there is no different color is just kinda like sticks attached to his body ;(

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Those definitely look like anchor worms. The little leg things are the egg sacks. It would be best if you can get them off of the fish before they drop. Once they drop they hatch and become free floating larvae looking for a new host to infect. Are these new fish? Are these fish you had and become infected from new fish?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah those are anchor worms (the black "Y" parasites, two on the caudal fin and one big one on the right-side pectoral fin).

Definitely treat the whole tank as there will be babies/eggs in the whole tank. Use Levamisole HCl (Hydrochloride).
You can buy it here
Parasite and Fungal Medications for Fish
More info here
Levamisole Hydrochloride ? Loaches Online

You can use tweezers to pull out as much of the anchor worms as possible, but you definitely still want to treat the whole tank with the meds. Treatment would require at least a second course/round of treatment to kill off any eggs that would have hatched after the first treatment (eggs aren't vulnerable to the med until they hatch). Two rounds should be sufficient for most cases.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Friggin anchor worms are nasty. At least these arent attached on the face near the eye. Also when you remove the worms treat the infected area with h202 or similar to prevent secondary infection. I would treat the infected fish in a qt tank and use something like kanaplex or similar to help prevent secondary infection of the worms hook site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so my history is that i do have kanaplex because my entire stock of fish in my planted became infected with someone i still don't know but every guppy was different all i knew they became very lethargic in top of the tank and hmm i just researched and researched because they were dying every day and there wasn't any signs of hookworms like now, but once i started dosing kanaplex that's when fungus broke out and hookworms....

Bump: What i mean by fungus it was a huge white ball around the body fussy like and after it would appear it killed the remainder of the guppies that i have and i only have one left now :(

Update: I removed the hookworms and treated with h2o2 (i had it on my house) so it was a fast process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts