The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm an absolute beginner in all the planted tanks stuff. Recently I purchased a couple of plants in a shop that looked respectful. I strongly suspect I was sold plants that are either not suitable for water or are not for beginners.

Can someone please help me identify these two?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm an absolute beginner in all the planted tanks stuff. Recently I purchased a couple of plants in a shop that looked respectful. I strongly suspect I was sold plants that are either not suitable for water or are not for beginners.

Can someone please help me identify these two?

Thank you!
The second one will grow better with the leaves putisde the water and the roots inside the water. They look real good submerged but its not right.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Perhaps others can chime in with a positive identification, but I agree with victorusaconte; in fact, both plants appear to be terrestrial plants, as they seem to have thick, fleshy stems and leaves.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Larger one on top apears to be one of the larger Anubius species. The rhizome should come OUT of the substrate, and only have the roots buried.
The bottom picture appears to be either a Liriope sp. or Ophiopogon sp., niether of which will survive in water. They have stiff/thick leaves that will "look" alive underwater for some time, but they won't grow, and will eventually just die and rot.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Larger one on top apears to be one of the larger Anubius species. The rhizome should come OUT of the substrate, and only have the roots buried.
The bottom picture appears to be either a Liriope sp. or Ophiopogon sp., niether of which will survive in water. They have stiff/thick leaves that will "look" alive underwater for some time, but they won't grow, and will eventually just die and rot.
Exaclty!
I have a few in my tank and they look like these after 2 months ( but will attach in less than a month).
IN MY TANK, the leaf part, out of the water, appears to create a surface "home" for copepods(?)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.