The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have recently taken up this hobby and have set up a 60 gallon freshwater planted tank. I think I have everything set up right, but I have a question about what kind of lighting schedule I should use. Ideally, I would like to have the lights (and co2) come on for a couple of hours in the morning (maybe from 6:30-8:30 am), so I can enjoy the tank before I go to work and then turn off until coming on for a second, longer time in the evening (maybe from 4:30pm-12:30pm). This way my plants will be getting 10 hours of light each day, which I frequently see as a recommended amount. But my question is - is it ok to do this (splitting the light time into two seperate parts), or will this confuse my plants and fish too much? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't think that schedule would harm the plants or fish too much if any, but I personally wouldn't chance it because I'm obsessive. Without knowing your lighting I can't say for sure, but I have pretty high light and I keep it down to 8 hours a day with no break and I don't have any problems. When I'm off on Sunday and Monday I give the tank a few extra hours so I can enjoy the tank earlier and do my water change/cleaning/ferts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My lighting is 4x38W T8 tubes so that works out at around 2.5w/gallon for my 60gallon tank. I've got the CO2 going at 2bps. The lights and CO2 are now set for a first 'on' between 6:30 - 8:30am and a second longer 'on' between 5pm - 1am. Hopefully that should be the right amount of light. Any other advise is most welcome.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've been trying something recently that so far, is working well for me. I've only been running this for three weeks since I started using a solenoid to shut off co2 at night. I ran co2 24/7 for about 3 years.

Anyway, what my schedule is currently:

Timer 1 - 9:00 am to 9:00 PM - co2 - 2x39 watt T5HO lights - fan for light fixture.

Timer 2 - 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM - 2x39 watt T5HO lights

Basicly, co2 is on for 12 hours and have a noon burst for for 5 hours (4x39watts). Lights on for a total of 13 hours. For this to work, you would have to keep up with your ferts and water changes religiously. I dose a modified IE with dry ferts and 50 % water change weekly. So far, the only algae I get is a light Green Dust Algae.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts